Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lack of sleep  (Read 8062 times)

k9love

Lack of sleep
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »

I wake every hour on the hour every night!! and the dreams are terrible, also my hubby tells me I twitch all night, anything I can do to get some real sleep?

Joyce

Re: Lack of sleep
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »

Don't laugh, but have you tried sleeping in different rooms? I'm an awful fidget in bed and if I can't sleep it's so much worse. I started sleeping in different room a) because of Hubby's snoring & b) because I had terrible problems sleeping due to aches etc. I do try to sleep in same room, but usually end up moving rooms.

k9love

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 08:35:38 PM »

Don't laugh, but have you tried sleeping in different rooms? I'm an awful fidget in bed and if I can't sleep it's so much worse. I started sleeping in different room a) because of Hubby's snoring & b) because I had terrible problems sleeping due to aches etc. I do try to sleep in same room, but usually end up moving rooms.

I wont laugh, my hubby spent most of last night watching the meteor shower cos he couldnt sleep :) we dont have enough rooms to sleep seperately tho :(

Evenstar

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

We usually have musical beds in our house ;D My DH quite often sleeps on the sofa rather than disturb us when he needs to get up at 4am for work. Our 8 year old will often then sneak into bed with me and DH will go into her room ;D ;D   I don't think any of us get much sleep!!!

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:56:17 AM »

Sounds like my daughter's house. Their eldest,who is now 5, sneaks in beside them. Neither of them notice her, that is till she starts fidgeting. They've tried putting her back, supernanny style, but lack of sleep soon has one of them sleeping in her bed.

Winterose

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »

We found mattress toppers were a huge help with achey bits, have had them off with the warm weather and hips are aching again,  :)

Chesh

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »

It is probably a bit of an obvious one but I wanted to mention it in case - how much caffeine do you drink in an average day?

I have always known not to drink any caffeinated drinks after 6pm or I can't get to sleep but I did not think my caffeine intake during the day was affecting me at night. I was probably having 3 cups of coffee each morning and 2-3 cups of tea in the afternoon.

I have weaned myself down to one cup of caffeinated coffee first thing in the morning. All other drinks are caffeine free. I have started sleeping! I wake up when my husbands alarm clock goes off (and could almost turn over and go back to sleep which is unheard of for me)

It has to be worth a try - but beware the headaches if you give up cold turkey! - I had a bottle of coca cola I would take a swig from if I felt a headache coming on. After 2 days I had not need to swig the cola!

This is a very recent development as I only started reducing the caffeine 1 week ago. I

k9love

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »

It is probably a bit of an obvious one but I wanted to mention it in case - how much caffeine do you drink in an average day?

I have always known not to drink any caffeinated drinks after 6pm or I can't get to sleep but I did not think my caffeine intake during the day was affecting me at night. I was probably having 3 cups of coffee each morning and 2-3 cups of tea in the afternoon.

I have weaned myself down to one cup of caffeinated coffee first thing in the morning. All other drinks are caffeine free. I have started sleeping! I wake up when my husbands alarm clock goes off (and could almost turn over and go back to sleep which is unheard of for me)

It has to be worth a try - but beware the headaches if you give up cold turkey! - I had a bottle of coca cola I would take a swig from if I felt a headache coming on. After 2 days I had not need to swig the cola!

This is a very recent development as I only started reducing the caffeine 1 week ago. I

Its not caffiene, I have decaff tea and coffee and only have 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day, thanks for the info tho.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »

Lack of sleep can be dehydration, hunger, noises, too much light, not enough light ........

Worrying can make it worse.  We lay there waiting to drop off  ::)

Delilah

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »

Hi k9love

Is there anything in particular thats waking you. Are you having flushes or adrenalin rushes that wake you?  I had terrible adrenalin rushes that kept me awake nearly all night, i felt terrible and had to eventually start hrt and AD's that did the trick. Still get the rushes early in morn but i do now get 7/8 hrs sleep.

Delilah x

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »

I have been having terrible problems sleeping recently. I just can't drop off. I get hotter and hotter and restless and just generally annoyed with myself.

Last night I downloaded a wave sound app for my kindle. I set it for an hour and lay and listened to it. It helped a bit. I don't say I went to sleep any quicker but instead of my brain fretting about problems I listened to the waves. My kids are inclined to wander in the night and that disturbs me but short of locking them in their rooms there is not much I can do about that.

My mother keeps telling me how tired I look.....ummmm I know.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »

HB me too. I downloaded relaxation melodies. Got lots of choices and you can even mix it up too.  Dreadful night last night. Too hot, too cold, itchy legs. Hope I sleep tonight.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »

Hubby is ok with it playing in the bedroom. There was a waterfall option but it made me need to wee.    ;D

My mother keeps telling me to take sleeping pills. I don't think the GP would prescribe for one and I don't want to start that. I think I must look pretty awful as mother rarely notices much.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »

My mum used to say I looked awful and that was nearly 30 years ago. Hate to think what she'd say if she saw me these days.  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »

Really makes you feel good though when someone tells you that you look like sh""t.

Tonight I am so tired I could just lie down but then I can't bloomin sleep.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2