Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 10mm thickness of womb lining  (Read 42344 times)

Lynne888

10mm thickness of womb lining
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

I'm feeling very anxious.  I have been for my ultrasound scan today and was told that the lining of my womb was 10mm thick. I was immediately sent to see a gyno who did some biopsies (extremely painful!). I'm so worried. 10mm thick sounds a massive amount when anything over 4mm is considered abnormal. Anyone with similar experience? I had the same scan in January and the lining was normal. 

Taz2

Re: 10mm thickness of womb lining
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »

It's perfectly normal to feel anxious Lynne. Do you know how long you have to wait to get the results of the biopsies? There is a  condition called endometrial hyperplasia which means the womb lining become thicker but it is a benign condition which, if left untreated, could lead to endometrial cancer. If it is this you have caught it early as your last scan in January showed a satisfactory lining. If your last scan had been a few years ago it would have been more of a worry I think as you wouldn't have known how long you had been building up the extra thickness.

Taz x  :hug:

Lynne888

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »

Hi Taz.. A friend of mine has endometriosis, not sure if it's the same as what you mention but I don't have any of the symptoms of that at all.   I am very worried. There is obviously something wrong for the lining to be 10mm thick after it being fine 6 months ago.  The gyno said it can be thicker after only a month, it changes all the time.
7 - 10 days for the results :( It's a long time to worry. x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »

No it's not endometriosis - that's where bits of womb tissue migrate to other parts of the body and continue to bleed even though they are not in the womb. This is a condition where the womb lining builds up and if it is left then, in some cases, it is seen as a cancer risk so the lining needs to be dispersed. The biopsies are taken to ensure that the cells are all normal and then the right treatment can be given.

There is information here about the condition http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/endometrial-hyperplasia 

Did you also have a blood test or just the biopsy?

Taz x

Lynne888

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »

Thanks again for this Taz... naturally enough it all makes me feel very concerned. I'm 55, almost 56 and for all I know could have been in menopause for years. The bleeding I have had for years may not be periods.  What a worry. I can do nothing but wait which is hard :(   Very grateful of your imput though Taz... xx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »

I think that the scan you had in January should put your mind at rest as to what your past bleeding has been about because the lining was thin then and this build up is very recent. They are just being cautious and following the guidelines which is why you were referred straight away to the gynae after your scan showed a thickening.

Did they take a blood test as well?

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »

Hi Lynne - I can see that it is a worry having investigations because the mind always suspects the worst, but really good that the the standard is to check women out whenever anything happens that is different from the majority.

I can't remember if you are on HRT and having a cycle still?

I have to go for a hysteroscopy and biopsy next week ( also possible polpyectomy) because my lining was 7.4 mm after the scan. However I did read that with a cycle the lining can vary by up to 3 mm over the course of the cycle so part of your build-up may be due to that.

Whatever reason it does need to be shed so once they've found out whether you've got hyperplasia or not, they may we give you progesterone to reduce the lining.

Do take care - try to keep calm and find something to take your mind off things if you can. Hoping you receive reassuring news in a few days

Hurdity x

meno lesley

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »

Hi

I am 55 and a few years back had a scan which showed 14mm thickness. I had a d and c and biopsies and all was fine. Was told that some women it builds up more than others. Had a scan recently after some spotting and it was under 4mm.

Hope this helps.

Lesley x

Lynne888

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »

Thank you for your reassuring words.  The menopause thing is half of my problem. I have continued having bleeds occasionally for a few years and assumed I was still having periods.  GP did hormone tests which showed I was in full meno (since been told on here these tests are not always accurate)..but GP stands by it so when I bled last month she immediately arranged for biopsies. I'm overweight and I've read that being overweight increases the chances of womb cancer. You're best not to even look at the internet!!! Got myself dying with at least three different things!  ;)

k9love

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »

I had a scan a few months ago and mine was 6.6, had to go see gyno and when he measured it it was 1.7 and normal, cant give you any other info as to why but maybe yours will go down like mine did :)

Lynne888

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:13:40 AM »

I've had a vile night. I've had severe stomach pain since the biopsy yesterday. It's really quite bad. Feeling like I've been kicked by a horse. I've read online that some people have suffered for a week afterwards. Has anyone had similar experience? I've been bleeding too but that seems to have slowed down this morning. I hope I never have to have another one! It was hard to deal with. Very painful.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »

I think it's normal to suffer from bad period pains. It's understandable I suppose. Have you been taking painkillers? They really should have given you advice at the hospital. Makes me annoyed when you are not told what to expect.

Taz x

Lynne888

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:59:57 AM »

Hi Taz. I agree. I've been reading a few threads online and so many women have really suffered after a biopsy and were not told what to expect.  My hubby is off work this week and we were planning to have a few days away but it isn't going to happen how I feel today. Terrible stomach cramps. Reminds me of a bad bout of IBS. No one said I'd even need pain killers!

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:13 AM »

Sorry to hear about this Lynne and that you are feeling bad.

Now you've got me worried as I have a biopsy next week and have to work the next afternoon ....
My leaflet tells me to take 3 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol an hour before the appointment so presumably they expect some pain... I assumed the local anaesthetic will stop most of the pain but I presume it's afterwards that it it is worse?

Hope you feel better soon and manage to get away for a break.

Hurdity x

Lynne888

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »

From what I have read online everyone is different so hopefully you won't feel as bad as I do. I have all sorts of stomach issues so it may be worse for me. It said nothing about pain relief on my letter. No  one mentioned anything. If I had to go to work today I would struggle but it might be different for you, I hope so!  I didn't get a local anaesthetic:(  Please do not be put off by my tale of woe Hurdity!! If you look online, it really is different for everyone!! Let us know how it goes. 
Pages: [1] 2