Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Stomach bug???  (Read 13626 times)

countrybumpkin

Stomach bug???
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »

Yesterday I suddenly had urgent watery d when I woke up but then okay until teatime when I realised that I could not face food ( as I am always hungry sure sign of something wrong ::)) and then I had to run to loo about 6 times in evening. One mouthful of food or water and off I went again with awful gripy abdo pains. This morning I felt quite sick and had a couple of rushes to loo, slight appetite back this afternoon but soon as I ate something my stomach hurt and that set the bowels off again.
I am hoping that I do not have a repeat of yesterday evening today!
Now common sense tells me its either a passing bug or something I have eaten but I have terrible health anxiety :(   
I hardly dare admit that I am worrying about bowel cancer or pancreatic cancer. 
So does anyone know if there is a bug doing the rounds at moment and you can all have a laugh and roll of eyes at my catastrophic thinking over the cause!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stomach bug???
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

Have a hug  - from a very long distance away!

I have a deep fear of illness.  What have you eaten that is different in the last 7-14 days?  I have irritable bowel syndrome and had to recondition my brain into understanding that sometimes, if I haven't 'been' for a few days, then my bowel will let go in a rush.  That leaves me feeling quite weak sometimes and my brain goes 'it's a bug' and I have to reply 'it's IBS  >:( '

How are you now?  You could try one of the 'bunging up' preparations, of course the name escapes me  ::), from the chemist?

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »

Yes there is a bug going round, I know 3 people who have had it in the last 2 weeks.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »

Bug never seems to go away. Recent warm weather won't have helped.  Hope you feel better soon.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Litlleminnie do my symptoms sound like this bug thats going round??  I have had bugs in the past that hit hard and fast like 12 hrs of vom and d and then better but this one seems to be milder but longer lasting.

littleminnie

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »

2 of them it was over in 2 days, the other it was on and off for a week.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »

It's probably a bug countrybumpkin but I can understand your anxiety. With watery diaorrhea you have to starve the digestive system for twenty four hours. Nothing more than water or squash. Definitely no milk of any kind -even in tea or coffee. If you eat even small amounts it stimulates the gut to begin to work and the whole thing starts over again. Try the twenty four hour starvation thing.

Taz

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »

My BIL started last night. Sick a couple of times but still has the runs. Sis is ok and they have both eaten the same so we think it's a bug.
Hope he keeps it to himself.

He started with really bad stomach pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 09:19:27 PM »

Oh heck you don't want to be catching it, least of all your mum HB.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »

Thanks everyone lovely to get so many replies. Well I haven't been to the loo as much today and finally have stopped feeling sickly.  Still got a very noisy tum and still not sure what its going to do next ;D but I am keeping everything crossed that the worst is over.  I have managed to eat 4 slice of toast today.

Tomorow morning will tell if I am really getting better!

Witches Cat

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »

I'm in Dorset, and there's something going round here too. Son works in Bournemouth and he had to stop the car several times on the way home about 10 days ago to shout for huey... took him nearly a week to get over it.  My neighbour and her sister went to the seaside for the day (35 mile trip from here) and her sister was so ill she couldn't drive home, weak as a kitten for days after. Reckon it's all to do with the heat we've had followed by the rain... (I always blame the weather when things start going round, only hard frost kills it off)
 ???

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »

I spoke too soon thinking I was getting better yesterday :-\  I woke up at 4am this morning with dreadful cramps and had to rush to loo and felt very sick but wasn't.  Have had a few more runs this morning and very uncomfy stomach.
I spoke to someone who has had something similar three times over 2 months, not what I wanted to hear!
So methinks I will be off to Dr monday with my sample to see if I have food poisoning from the iffy ice cream I ate on Tuesday.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »

My sister had to call the emergency doctor last night for her hubby. He had been ok during the day but started being sick again about 7pm. He just could not stop and eventually had an injection to help.
Sis said she has never seen him like that before. They still don't know if it's a bug or something he ate.

Hope you feel better soon. Perhaps you started to eat again too quickly and your tummy is still sensitive.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »

DO NOT GO TO THE SURGERY WHEN YOU HAVE A BUG  :o
Ring the GP and ask for a call back so that you can explain symptoms
Take the advice given
Otherwise you will be responsible for spreading it around  >:(

countrybumpkin

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »

I didn't word that very well sorry I should have said I was going to ring the surgery monday morning and ask if I could get a sample to them to be sent for testing.
I used to work at a Dr so know all about the horrors  after we all came down with scabies from an infected child in the waiting room!
Pages: [1] 2 3