Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toilet Phobia - Anxiety UK  (Read 10604 times)

Taz2

Toilet Phobia - Anxiety UK
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »

I just feel that are quite a few members suffering from this - not a fear of toilets but a fear of needing one for either bladder or bowel while out. During meno this can tighten it's grip as part of overall anxiety and I had no idea it was such a common phobia until I read about it on the Anxiety UK site. Hopefully it will be useful to others too http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/about-anxiety/anxiety-disorders/toilet-phobia/

Taz x

kes

Re: Toilet Phobia - Anxiety UK
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »

Yes - I can identify.  I have a fear of being stuck on queues on the motorway, either as a driver or a passenger - and part of this is being unable to escape (I also feel this in crowded cinemas or concert halls) and part is as soon as I find myself in a queue, I need a wee!! 

One time I was stuck in a motorway queue on the M25, and drivers were getting out of their cars and talking, we had been there so long.  I too got out, and mentioned to the driver in front I was desperate for the loo.  He said - "go up the bank, behind a bush" so I did.  Next thing I know, the cars start moving - you have never seen anyone move so fast!  My car was in the middle lane.  It's a funny story now, but it wasn't at the time!

The worst place was in Paris, some years ago - me and my husband went for a long weekend, we thought it would be romantic - but there were NO public toilets - at least none I could find and it was a nightmare.  :o

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »

I hate using loos especially for a number 2.

I am of the touch nothing camp and will open doors with my elbows. But i like to know where the loo is just in case.

I have always been the same.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »

Although is called toilet phobia it actually can have a total hold over your life. Eventually it can lead to inability to stay overnight with anyone and then not being able to eat out for fear of needing the loo (eating can obviously stimulate a bowel movement in a lot of people) and finally not being able to stay in hotels or guest houses and no longer being able to go on holiday. I found the comments made by sufferers really enlightening.

It is linked to social phobia in some cases and can lead to agoraphobia.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:40:18 PM »

Yep.  We are such 'wimps' over our toileting habits  ::) ......... our ancestors have a lot to answer for!  Anyone remember those outside privies; well sometimes there were '3 holers'  :o where Mum , Dad, child shared to do the necessaries.

I could never 'go' at his parents' house because the loo was close to the kitchen.  His mother used to stand outside the door asking if I wanted a cup of tea or toast for breakfast  :o  :(  :bang: :bang: :bang: DH used to try to encourage her into the lounge when I needed some peace and quiet  ::)

As for hospital bed pans  :D ............ I'm embarking on camping holidays again ....... will I be able to 'go' in those communial blocks  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »

You have a chemical toilet CLKD.....use it. No need to put yourself through any discomfort.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »

I can do a pee in that.  But  :o ............ so I will wait until it's quiet then creep over to the block .......   :whist:

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »

And meet all the other woman who don't like public toilets either.

;D;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »

You'll be wearing which colour?  :rofl:

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »

Purple.....it just has to be purple.

;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »

When I grow old  ;D

Purple loo paper anywhere?

confused kate

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »

How strange you posted this, GP has sent me for CBT and this came up as one of the common anxieties, for years I thought every time I went on holiday or on long journeys I had another urine infection I never thought it was due in any way to anxiety!!  Fingers crossed that CBT works, I've only had two sessions so far and I do feel slightly better.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »

A few weeks ago I purchased a 'sheewee' - still in the packet, haven't practiced with it yet  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:24:05 PM »

They're great fun  - especially when you drip on yourself  ;D I use mine all the time at music festivals!

Hurdity  x
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:53:14 PM by Hurdity »

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »

I need to practice in the shower ?  :P
Pages: [1] 2