Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: urinary Infections  (Read 6956 times)

Tingly

Re: urinary Infections
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »

In order to get you out of your prdeicamentthink it would be wise to
 Make an appointment as soon as possible and
a.outline firstly what the first doctor said,

b. secondly  what the second doctor did and said pointiing out you feel no better,  ( maybe pointing out the  conflict re thrush v infection diagnosis)

c.thirdly pointing out you dont want to just wait and see what happens

D.ask for what you think might be the appropriate action from this site ie getting a more in depth look into why the blood migiht be present etc

I wish i had listed my questions before i had gone to the docs and asked more questions about their differing advice

I wish you all the luck.

ann123

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »

The dipstick won't tell if you have an infection, it will indicate if there is red blood cells, white blood cell cells and a couple of other things. You need to send it to the microbiology lab they will tell if there are any bacteria present, and what antibiotic it needs treating with. They will also look for white blood cells, which indicate an infection. Without doing this your GP is just guessing at what antibiotic to treat with, you could have an infection which will not be killed by the antibiotic he has given you. The other thing you need to be careful with is taking different courses of antibiotics can upset the natural bacteria flora and you end up with thrush!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »

:thankyou:  Ann123 - I didn't realise this initially until my GP got cross because the Nurses were dipping or simply prescribing ...... the 2 samples that *were* sent away did come back with infection present; the 3/4th were early signs of atrophy.  The same GP kept asking if I was dry and apart from needing KY jelly - since way back - I had no extra dryness - until the atrophy struck  :o

moonbeam121167

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »

The GP did mention white blood cells, I did have a sample sent to lab on the 15th but that game back ok and now he said I have an infection, I really dont know whether I coming or going, I have hardly any faith in the GPs at moment ....

ann123

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »

White blood cells are a sign of infection, the body sends them to the site of an infection to try and mop up the infection, they are our bodies natural protector. You may still have white cells in your urine, but no bacteria, it's a sign then you had an infection.
You have every right to ask your GP to show you the report from the lab.
If bacteria are present, the report will show what bacteria it is, E.coli is the most common and the report will show which antibiotics will kill the infection and which ones will not, obviously the GP needs to pick an antibiotic that will kill the infection.
20 years working in microbiology has come in useful!!!!!

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »

Before I started vagifem I had numerous tests showing up the white blood cells but all came back showing no infection. I had a cystoscopy to rule out any problems in the urethra and bladder and then started on vagifem and everything was fine after that.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  Take a list so that you don't forget symptoms etc.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]