Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Faecal calprotectin stool testing  (Read 8282 times)

English Rose

Faecal calprotectin stool testing
« on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »

Hello gals

Does anyone on here have experience of having their stools checked for faecal calprotectin?  Apparently it's a fairly new test (arranged by GP or consultant) that can indicate whether bowel problems are caused by IBS, or more serious inflammatory diseases like Colitis or Crohn's. If the calprotectin levels are high, then this gives a greater risk of inflammatory disease. In that respect it's not a diagnostic test and if they suspect problems then further tests like endoscopy/colonoscopy will be indicated.  Just interested to find out whether anyone has had this and what your experiences were afterwards, if you had any further tests (i.e. was the faecal calprotectin test accurate?)

Cheers to all, ER x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Faecal calprotectin stool testing
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »

www.calprotectin.com

I opened this web-site and didn't understand a word  ;D - off to look again  ::)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faecal_calprotectin  ... this helped a lot more

I know that when we reach age 60 we are sent by the NHS a faecal envelope when we take 3 samples and return for various tests.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:53:27 PM by CLKD »

ann123

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »

The tests when we reach 60 are screening for bowel cancer.
This test is for inflammatory bowel disease, like ulcerative colitis. But if positive you won't know exactly what type of bowel disease you have, without doing further tests. But treatment may be much the same, so maybe that's not important.
It does tell you that you don't have irritable bowel syndrome.
I work with biochemistry, will try and find out if more labs are starting to introduce it.
It generally takes time for labs to take on new tests, due to budget restrictions.

English Rose

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »

Thanks both.
CLKD - I understand that the routine one that the NHS send out from age 60 is to look for blood in the stool but this test is different.  The new test appeals to me (if that's the right word) as I've had IBS on and off for years and sometimes worry it's something more serious (i.e. something inflammatory like Crohns) although I'm generally healthy.
Ann123 - I had a look on the internet and you can get them done privately by a couple of labs, cost from around £30.  I might take the plunge one of these days.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:40:23 PM by English Rose »

ann123

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »

The bowel screening test looks for blood in the stool.
As the test you are talking about is new, I would be aware that it may not be very good and the result you get may not be correct.
Private labs will do anything as they charge!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »

Yes the routine test is specifically to check for bowel cancer but the test you mention, English Rose, is for detection of inflammation in the bowel. If the inflammation markers are high enough than an endoscopy/colonoscopy will be carried out. It seems to be for patients who are already showing signs of maybe Crohns or Colitis rather than IBS.  If you are worrying that perhaps the IBS is bowel cancer then I don't think test will help to be honest. It is difficult to find impartial information though.

Taz x

English Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »

Taz
Thanks - no, I'm not worried about bowel cancer, I realise the test is for inflammatory conditions like IBS or Crohns and that it's different to the FOB (faecal occult blood) test that's given for routine screening.

Ann123 - apparently the test has 90% sensitivity/specificity, which, as you work in biochemistry you will understand that that's quite a good hit rate (9 out of 10 chance of giving correct results).  I'm sure more labs will be doing this test in the future as I understand that it's going though the NICE process for approval to be used in primary care before consultant referral for symptoms related to both IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel conditions), which I know can be similar in presentation.

Medical science and progress - gotta love it!  ;)  ER x

Pauline

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »

I took a M2PK faecal test which came back as elevated so I had a private colonoscopy which revealed all was normal. No sign of any inflam bowel disease, polyps or worse. So I don't think faecal testing is always accurate and can worry people unnecessarily.

English Rose

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »

Hi Pauline

Thanks for your response. M2PK - I believe that is not the same as the faecal calprotectin test - I understand that the M2PK is more of a marker for tumours and polyps whereas calprotectin is for inflammatory markers. Yes I agree, no screening test is 100% accurate and that includes all the other screening tests out there, but personally I think it's good to have the choice.

I actually took the plunge and ordered a private calprotectin test, which was very quick and efficient and came back negative.  I am pretty convinced now that I have IBS and not something nastier.

All the best, ER x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:29:04 PM »

My cousin has Chrons and when it attacks she has to go to hospital for treatment .......... she was several years getting a diagnosis but is now aware of symptoms <sigh>