Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Vitamin D deficiency!  (Read 16811 times)

Firewalker50

Re: Vitamin D deficiency!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »

Chairmaine - that was very interesting to me.

I fell downstairs about 8 years ago and my feet have never healed.
Any time I exercise, my ankles and feet are painful and feel as if they are injured.
I used the link and from there took the link to calculate Vitamin D levels.
I would need to use a high dosage too.

Thank you for the link.  I am due to go to the doctor to follow up on something, and I think I will ask her to do a Vit D level test to make sure.   I currently take 1000iu Vit D3 Spray most days.

Fx

charmaine

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »

Yes, definitely ask to be tested - if you're deficient, 1000iu per day isn't enough to get your levels up quickly.

Once your level is in the normal range, it will probably take some time to find the maintenance dosage that's right for you - your GP should offer to test you every few months to make sure your level remains steady.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:03:20 PM by charmaine »

nelliedee

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 06:16:20 AM »

Hi Charmaine
Yes that is very interesting and I did have a suspicion that vit d wasnt tested for as anyone I spoke to last year that had had a recent blood test said they were low in vit d. I found this strange. Glad you got to the bottom of it and are now on the mend x

Elena

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »

FW is that the lemon flavoured spray you can get from Holland & Barrett?

Tina1957

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »

My Endo suggested taking Vit D after I complained of tiredness and aching joints - I have an underactive thyroid, but my thyroid levels were good so he didn't want to increase my Thyroxine.

I started taking Vit D Sunvite 1000iu (Holland & Barrett) as he suggested, and have since had a VitD blood test, which has come back at 22.9 - apparently severely deficient. 

I have been told to just continue taking the dose I am already taking or I can increase it to 2000iu a day (this message came via his Secretary) I am a little concerned that maybe I need to take more than this to get my level up quickly - can anyone advise?

Tina   

charmaine

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »

I have been told to just continue taking the dose I am already taking or I can increase it to 2000iu a day (this message came via his Secretary) I am a little concerned that maybe I need to take more than this to get my level up quickly - can anyone advise?

Tina

Hi Tina,

I don't think 2000iu a day is enough to correct a severe deficiency - it should be more like 6000-7000iu daily. When I had my first vit D blood test, my level was 11 and I was put on 42000iu per week - it took 2 months for my levels to rise to the normal range. I'd suggest speaking to your doctor again and see if he will reconsider - large doses are generally only necessary for a short time, and you should be monitored (via more blood tests) until you find the maintenance dose that suits you.

Charmaine
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:20:33 PM by charmaine »

Tina1957

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »

Charmaine

Thanks for your reply - you have definitely confirmed my concern.

Did your GP treat your deficiency? 

I am thinking that rather than contact the Endo again, maybe I should make an app with my GP to discuss.

Tina

charmaine

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »

Yes Tina, it was done through my GP.

I use Boots brand Vitamin D 25ug (which is 1000iu) tablets which come in packs of 90 - they cost £4.99 each but they're almost always on sale 3 for 2. So £10 buys you 270 tablets which isn't too bad.

Jubilee

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »

I should live where you do Jubilee - I love the short days.. don't ask me why!

Taz x

Do you really Taz , I really feel quite depressed from October - March I want the longer days and look forward to may ..then after 22cd june its down hill again quite quickly into winter

but I take my vitamins daily all year round ... keeps general health good although joints still sore & creaky x

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »

How you feel in the Spring is how I feel in the Autumn Jubilee. I hate the shortest day as this shows that we are about to head into longer days but love the longest day as it means the nights will then begin to draw in. I love getting up while it is still dark which, as my usual getting up time is around 6 a.m., is ok in the winter but in the summer I would have to get up really early for it still to be dark. I have stopped trying to work out why I feel like this but I have found some research on the net and it is called "Reverse SAD".

Taz x

Jubilee

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »

Oh Dear Taz we are complete opposites, aren't we ? ..strange isn't it

As I have a big garden I am very busy with that and the greenhouse from early spring as I grow all my own Annuals + Tomatoes and cucumbers so that keeps me busy through those months and takes my mind of myself and my probs ... the Autumn and Winter and the long nights gives me time to dwell
on those probs ...and my boring life  - Jube x
Pages: 1 2 [3]