Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Grumpy grandads!  (Read 9715 times)

valiantkate

Grumpy grandads!
« on: August 08, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »

My son and daughter have had a little boy, he's so beautiful, I have a bit of a dilemma though regarding my OH. He seems to be unable to open up to his new grandson, I'm babysitting overnight  on Friday and cant wait, however the OH says that he thinks they're really irresponsible for going out and leaving him overnight, he's a couple of months now- the BABY not the OH!!!
I'm caught between everyone, my son who cant understand his Dad's attitude, his girlfriend who is also puzzled and myself who cant wait to get cuddling and being a Granny!!!I feel like I'm walking on eggshells.
The OH's Mum died when he was  about 10 and he never experienced 'family' stuff- couldnt understand why I gave my relatives and friends hugs when we first met. Perhaps he just doesn't know how to be a 'Grandad'- or maybe he's just a  pain in the  ******! ?
are there any books that he could maybe look through etc?
Thanks from a wonderfully happy Grandma. (most of the time!) :beat:

Taz2

Re: Grumpy grandads!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:28 PM »

I think this is something that time will change to be honest. Some men are just not good with babies but as the baby grows into a toddler then I am sure he will feel differently.

I think that it wouldn't be wise to give him a book to look through. This is not something that you can learn - best for you to do all the cuddling and loving at the moment (means you get double cuddles!) and he will come round in time.

What was he like with your own babies?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »

My hubby was great with his own kids but is so not interested in anyone else's.
My BIL who is a grandpa is much the same. He has got better as the kids have got older but still is very glad to see them go home.

I agree with Taz, no books as you are just drawing his attention to the fact you think he is doing something wrong.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »

Hate to say it, but a lot of men just don't like children.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »

Could it be that your OH thinks your son should have married his girlfriend? Some men still think that way. My hubby thought our daughter & her partner should have married first, though he never told them that. But he is a doting grandad now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »

Has he seen the baby?  Is he jealous? 

:congrats:  do tell more: birth weight, size, hair .........  ;D

valiantkate

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 02:01:28 PM »

As all babies, he's a little corker, with pudgie arms and a smile that's just emerging, he arrived about 5 weeks early at the speed of light! So like his Dad when he was that age. He was a good weight though at 6 lbs- hes drinking a lot of milk at the moment- I cant believe how much he changes from day to day, we are lucky. anyway we had a lovely 'sleep over' and I think the OH is coming round, phew- a big relief. He said he was concerned about my health as I'm due to have surgery in the next week or two and I get tired so easily- didn't want me to overdo things.
Think things will be OK, I just want everyone to be happy I suppose, don't want to waste any time on negativity- time is so precious.
Thank you ladies for your comments- wont get a 'how to be a lovely Grandad book!' :bighug:

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »

Bet he's proud as punch really. But keep the book for a while yet.  ;)