Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hormone check  (Read 2870 times)

JeanneA

Hormone check
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »

Hi, I just wonder what is involved with a hormone check and whether this will show if you are definitely menopausal?  I've never went to the doctor to ask for a hormone check but wondering if I should?  As I am only presuming I am in the menopause as I haven't had a period for close to 2 years now.

Taz2

Re: Hormone check
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »

The blood tests are quite unreliable so it's probably not worth your while unless you are really young and your periods could have stopped for a different reason? If you are over 50 then you only have to go a year without periods for you to be post-meno. Under 50 it is usually seen as two years period free before you are safe to stop using contraception and are considered post meno.

Taz x

JeanneA

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:27:02 PM »

Hi Taz

Thanks for your reply, it has helped.  At least I know it's not worth me going through having blood tests.  I am over 50 and havnt had a period for about 18 months so I must be post-meno.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »

Yep- congratulations  :)

Lynne888

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »

Jeanne, I had the hormone test.. I didn't ask for it, I was just having lots of different issues (and getting older) so my GP wanted to do it.  It has thrown up more issues than it solved to be honest! It said I was in meno but I was still having periods so on and on it goes.  I would think after two years you are very safely in menopause!