Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Nails  (Read 5287 times)

countrybumpkin

Nails
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »

This is extremely minor in the grand scheme of meno symptoms ;D but for past year my nails are peeling all the time. I have always had really good strong nails that grew quickly and it was a shock to suddenly get my nails splitting into layers.
I have tried everything on the market at some cost but nothing has stopped it.
I just wondered if this is yet anothr meno symptom?? I certainly have the other 500 symptoms ::)

fiorinda

Re: Nails
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:45:29 PM »

I have the opposite - my nails are suddenly really strong and grow really fast whereas before they were soft and bendy and tore easily and always looked rubbish! I'm enjoying it. Sorry, not very helpful!

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:50:37 AM »

Are you on HRT countrybumkin? Mine were always splitting until I started on HRT, they grow really quickly now and are much healthier.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »

Mine starting splitting when I was anaemic countrybumpkin.

Taz

mummyof2

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »

Hi, I also noticed my nails had become more weak & brittle than they were before When I was normal! But have recently started taking evening primrose capsules every day & my nails are so much better, maybe a coincidence but worth a try.
Good luck.
Xx :)

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »

You will get the same results from taking a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement, one like Quest.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »

Mine used to always flake & split. Then I bought a crystal nail file and I've not looked back. Keep them quite short. Much more gentle on my fragile nails.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »

Thanks everyone. No I am mot on HRT and never will be as cannot take it due to family breast cancer.  I am not aneamic either as have regular blood tests and I take vitamins and minerals ::)
The crystal nail file I haven't tried still using emery boards but never had a problem with them before.
Sure to be yet another age thing :(

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »

Do you have your hands in water a lot or do you always wear gloves?

"Brittle nails, characterized by nails that split or peel into layers, affect as much as 20 percent of the population, according to a report by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Some health conditions can result in peeling of both fingernails and toenails, but if only your fingernails are affected, the cause is likely to be external.

Moisture
Most cases of splitting nails are caused by moisture, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. Repeatedly wetting and drying your hands, and, by extension, your fingernails, can cause the nails to dry out. Too much moisture can also weaken the nails, softening them and causing them to peel. Fingernails can be protected from moisture by wearing gloves for activities in which the hands are immersed in water, such as washing dishes. The AOCD recommends applying a lotion containing lanolin to relieve dry and brittle nails

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/135443-what-are-causes-splitting-peeling-nails/#ixzz2aYD0KLf9"

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »

Mine went there other way. When working always washing hands and nails became very soft. TBH still wash hands a lot at home. Manicurist told me to buy fine emery boards, which was fine but only lasted a short time. Then son's GF, who is a midwife told me and DD, who is a nurse, about crystal file. None of us have looked back.

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »

I have always had strong health nails that grow fast, we learned a lot about nail care at college, buffing nails can bring blood to the surface, you can do this by just rubbing nails together on both hands, make a fist of both hands and rub nails back and forth.

You can also buy buffing cream this is how we were taught and how I do it 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geB2iPTGMk0

Here are the vitamin essential for healthy nails

http://voices.yahoo.com/vitamins-healthy-skin-hair-nails-those-11789783.html

Causes of problem nails

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/weak-fingernails-brittle-nails-causes-of-weak-nails.html

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »

Silverlady link to causes of problem nails was very interesting. Thank you.