Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and teeth!  (Read 4206 times)

sue63

Anxiety and teeth!
« on: July 24, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

Hi
I have had a horrid 6 weeks with dental problems but as time goes on I am starting to think some of it might be menopause related anxiety.
6 weeks ago I had two simple (!) fillings from a new dentist which led them to being redone again.  One of the fillings at my gumline turned in to raging toothache and my dentist (private) advised me to have it extracted.....it was my back molar but not wisdom tooth.  I would have gladly agreed to have my head pulled off after 3 weeks of painkillers. This led to dry socket and 3 weeks later I am just starting to see some progress..

Suddenly I have turned incredibly anxious about the tooth being extracted and I am worried about all sorts of future problems.  My husband very kindly thought I might be getting things a little out of perspective as I ranted and raged for days on end and though I would never admit it to him he might be right! >:(

Basically I have become obsessed with dentists and teeth and reading all about problems and feel worn out with hte whole thing. I feel very cross the filiings failed have been very unreasonable really.
I am 50 very soon and feel my whole life is like an emotional rollercoaster....i worry SO much about decisions and don't feel able to sit on things lightly as it were!

Thanks for letting me rant...perhaps need to go to the GP as I do feel a bit over the top.  Sometimes everyday events are getting more difficult to cope with.   xxx

Suzi Q

Re: Anxiety and teeth!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »

Have you ever thought he may just have been a shit dentist or made a  mistake
Sounds like some sort of infection around the gum line maybe all the bad wasnt removed or hole filled properly? Anyone can get a dry socket sadly its a hit and miss thing Ive not had one
But hubbie has so doint worry it happens he wasnt meno AMM BObbles is a fella hehehehe
I have to agree with huibbie npoooooooo dont shout at me hehehehehe
Its fear age scared of geting older fear of future join the club OK we are nearly all like that or have felt like that so chin up dont go to that DENTIST again xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »

Did your Dentist explain why the filling 'failed'?  I would go back for an informal chat with a list of queries.  Every day is a learning curve and maybe if newly qualified, the Dentist wasn't aware of quite what could happen with your teeth.  My dentist and I have a workign relationship now - I ask and he tells me or goes off to ask his Colleagues. 

walking the dog

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:06:10 PM »

Hi sue63

last ear i was totally obsessed with my teeth i was convinced the front two were growing i even used to measure them and went to the dentist and the doctor about it! I was grinding them during the night a lot and clenching my jaw, i now realise it was anxiety and even though i do still jaw clench and grind them, im over the growing thing! i think when you have a problem in one area be it teeth aches and pains whatever with meno its too easy to end up obsessing even though you dont want to and often dont realise you are. Hope this helps xx

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »

Just a thought maybe there is an abscess under tooth. Very painful. You would need antibiotics for that.

wombat62

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »

Sorry to hear about your tooth problems, I had that after a wisdom removal, it's miserable, 3 weeks on the strongest Nurofen but it did go eventually.

I've had no end of tooth problems over recent years and considering the cost of dental treatment in Oz it's no laughing matter.

Still, have had a full check up and x-rays and all good so hope it keeps the way.

Hope your tooth problems settle done soon.

Suzi Q

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:50:57 AM »

Wombat have you got Private Ive got supercover Medibank Private
Its worth it I pay nothing fr a check up and clean 2 times a year
I go to a Medibank approve Dentist so fillings 90 get 75 bACK xxxx
My non aproved Dentist charged me 195 for a wee filling so  left him

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »

Here in the UK Suzi we have NHS and private practice, some combine the 2.  DH and I pay as we go ........

pj44

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »

I posted some weeks back about teeth problems but mostly I have a terrible fear of the dentist and now only eat soft food as I am so frightened of any of my fillings coming out.  I have been having tooth pain now for about 18 months its on and off.  Idogo to the dentist and he said all was well and gave me some toothpaste for me to use which I have been doing for 18 months and they are a lot better but still every now and again I get toothache and get terrified  that I will have to have something done. But the pain only lasts for say half an hour and then it goes i'm sure its my hormones.  Also when I start to really worry then they start to hurt again.  I said to my daughter the other day that I stop being anxious over one thing only to replace it with something else.  I am a anxious person but this teeth thing has totally over the top and spoiling my life. 

Sorry that you are suffering and hope that all gets sorted for you soon.  At least your are not alone seems a lot of us gets stressed about our teeth at this time of our lives.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »

Sensodyne does work - I tried it for 3 months because I had pain when eating hot/cold.  Brushing correctly makes a difference too and using a pointy thing between the teeth helps ease out any plaque. 

Why are we afraid of the dentist  :-\  ???

sue63

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »

Thank you so much for all the replies....I think I know the dentist has not been the best and I am frustrated with myself that I didn't question him about a filling in to a tooth that did not hurt >:(  I thought I could trust him.

Anyway I have booked myself in to a new dentist on Monday for another opinion.

I am glad I am not alone with all these anxieties x