Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Stomach Acid  (Read 8410 times)

moonbeam121167

Stomach Acid
« on: July 20, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »

Hi all again,  as you all know I have an irritated stomach, been back on Omperazole for 4 days and have changed to the patches, but today my stomach is real bad, the burning is unbelievable which I do believe makes me nauseous, had a Domperadone which hasnt helped much, is it down to a low in Estrogen that is causing the problems and how long should I give the patches to work, I put on a Estraderm mx 75mg, the headaches have been real bad as well, been putting Magnesium spray on but to no relief, paracetamol not helping either, is it down to the same thing, any advice except not to keep nagging you all  :)

ellie

Re: Stomach Acid
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »

Have you tried Gaviscon, it should stop the burning and help with the sickness.....I am not sure that any anti sickness tablets work, I think I have tried them all....I also find a glass of milk helps.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »

Hi I am off to the GP on Monday and is hoping to change my stomach pills to Lansopazole as I was told they could be better , was on 2mg oral hrt but others on here believe that the patches could be better on my stomach but so far no but I have only been on the patches for 4 days and I am not sure if 75mg patch is enough, taking Actimel twice a day but I will have to try some Gavasion x

English Rose

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:39:06 PM »

Hi moonbeam
What makes you think that the oestrogen is causing your heartburn? (I always thought it was the progesterone in HRT that is supposed to aggravate heartburn and digestive symptoms, as progesterone causes some muscles to relax).  If I were you I think I would go back to the GP and ask for referral to a gastro-enterologist to get to the bottom of your heartburn issues.  Headaches can be a real pain in the peri-menopause and menopause (something to do with hormonal fluctuations I think) - could it be migraine making you feel nauseous? I find Syndol to be effective if I have a really bad headache but I believe it can be addictive so you should only take when necessary and take care/check interactions if using other drugs - other than that have you tried soluble aspirin for your head?
Hope you feel better very soon, ER x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »

Hi seen a few articles and below is what one article said

Lower oestrogen levels trigger an increase in the level of cortisol in the body, which causes a rise in blood pressure and blood sugar. This slows the release of stomach acid and the emptying of stomach contents into the intestinal tract. Gas, bloating and constipation can result.

I not sure if it is true and open to any thoughts on this :) :) :)

English Rose

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »

Hi moonbeam
Obviously I don't know the source of your information, so it's difficult to comment - unless it's from a published scientific paper with references then I'd be a bit sceptical. Also what is classed as "lower oestrogen levels"? I understand that oestrogen in HRT is at a much lower level than the oestrogen we produced naturally when younger. So if this theory about oestrogen and cortisol levels is correct then wouldn't every single middle aged woman on the planet suffer with heartburn/digestive problems? - but I don't think that's the case. Oestrogen is just one factor amongst many others.

I think both oestrogen and progesterone can affect digestion but progesterone is the main culprit in relaxing muscles which in turn can make heartburn worse. (However I think you said in a previous thread that you had a hysterectomy so I assume you are not taking progesterone). Many GPs including mine, seem to discredit the link between heartburn and HRT......not sure myself, although I have acid reflux issues from time to time and take oral HRT without any problems (i.e. the reflux is no worse or better than before I started taking HRT).

I know there are many factors that can cause heartburn such as increasing age, being overweight, sedentary lifestyle, anxiety, dietary issues, hiatus hernia...so it's impossible to say what your individual triggers may be - would need an expert in gastrointestinal medicine to do that I think...... but I'm not sure that oestrogen would be fully to "blame".....sorry if that's not the reassurance you are looking for....ER.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:45:01 PM by English Rose »

moonbeam121167

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »

Hi i am not sure myself but I had a cast iron stomach up until peri menopause and its just as bad after my total op, do you think it isnt playing up cause my estrogen is low, been for a Endoscopy and all they said is my stomach  is irritated gave my Omparazole and sent me on my way, they dont work very well and I was just wondering if it was the estrogen thing or the oral HRT was irritating it and thats why I gone to the patches but not sure what dose to ask for, I have been on Climival 2mg so far and not sure the what the same in a patch :) :) :)

English Rose

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »

Hi again - I know very little about HRT patches as I've never used them - maybe check out the information in the side menus (green area) if you haven't already.  I would definitely ask to go back to the department who carried out your endoscopy though and take a list of questions with you. 

PS - also another thought - if the release of stomach acid was being slowed down by cortisol/blood sugar levels due to lower oestrogen then this should in theory cause less heartburn not more - as heartburn is caused by excess acid.....hmmm, too many confusing articles around that completely lack scientific evidence IMHO.
Good luck! ER x
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:22:48 PM by English Rose »

moonbeam121167

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 09:30:23 PM »

Hi  yes my husband says that google can cause more trouble and I should wait to see my GP, thanks for your replies x