Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: What can the Doctor give me??!!  (Read 2710 times)

LAL34

What can the Doctor give me??!!
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »

I wanted to ask if anyone knows if the doctor will give me anything to relieve my symptoms. I have had 4 months of head aches and aching joints, particularly in my neck and shoulders, very exhausted where I feel as if I can't hold myself up, lack of concentration (like my head is in a fog) and then 2 weeks ago it all came to a head where I felt really ill. I felt slightly better last week all the spots cleared up and I felt a lot better which was weird as it was the week before my period...but now I have missed my period this week which has never happened in my life (apart from when I was pregnant obviously).

I went to the doctors who has done blood tests which are fine in regards to anything nasty such as Lupus etc, and she said at the initial appointment that it may be the menopause starting, and I  may be perimenopausal which I had not heard of, I realised after looking it up that I have been suffering from some of the symptoms for about a year or so. She gave me some very mild antidepressants to help with my neck and headaches.

I am going back to the doctors in 2 weeks for a follow up appointment, do you think she will do blood tests to confirm the menopause or give me anything to help, I am really shocked I am at this point as I am 43 and a little worried that she won't give me anything to help and I will have to suffer for years!!

I want to be able to argue my case (nicely of course..without a hint of agitation which seems to creep into my persona a lot lately!!) for getting some help but I don't know anyone else my age who has had this.

Many Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What can the Doctor give me??!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »

:welcomemm:     :hug:

have you browsed the menus - left of screen?  Blood tests are notoriously un-reliable regarding hormone levels.  We need to go on symptoms. If you make a list to take to  your GP - i.e. last period, mood swings, diet, sleep/not; hot flushes, urine irritation ....... at least your GP realises that at your age it is possible to be 'peri-menopausal'.

Have a look at our funny room too  :foryou:

Taz2

Re: What can the Doctor give me??!!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »

Hi LAL

It is always a shock when peri meno begins - somehow we know that others will become menopausal but it wont happen to us! The average time for peri-meno (before meno)  is around 8 to 10 years and as it is thought that natural age for menopause is 51 then you are at the right age so you are not abnormal in any way.

As for the neck and headaches -neck problems can give rise to lots of symptoms of different types of headaches, stiff shoulders and pain and tingling in the arms and hands. Have you been referred for a course of physio? This can work wonders and if the headaches are due to tense neck muscles they can stop completely.

If meno symptoms such as hot flushes, mood swings, dry skin etc. become a problem you may find your doc says you are to young to start HRT but this is rubbish. Have a good browse around the forum, both our posts and the green menu on the left of the screen, and then you can have all the knowledge you need to "persuade" the doc.

You may like to introduce yourself under the New Members section as there will be other members who will want to welcome you but who may miss this post.

Taz  :welcomemm: