Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New ....  (Read 2892 times)

Bellamy

New ....
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »

Hi

I'm new to the site and new to the menopause and have no idea what's going on.  My hormones are raging, my temper and moods are raging, am totally irrational, not sleeping, anxious, palpitations, on and on it goes.  Been to the doctors who said it could just be life events stressing me out, but chances are could be peri menopausal and more than likely am having a double whammy.  Great just great!!  Am 48 so age wise I ought to have seen this coming, but unfortunately like to think I'm still in my 20s!!!

My partner has taken a battering throughout all this and i only realised what was possibly going on when I was reading the Relate website which mentioned a connection to the menopause.  Er dur how dense am I ... Don't answer that as I have become so much more forgetful recently!

Dr has given me sleeping pills and I need to go back in a month to have my mirena checked.

Feel a little more positive though now I know there is a reason behind all of this!!  Just need to explain to partner ....

honeybun

Re: New ....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »

Hi Bellamy and welcome to the forum.

To be blunt your GP is not very clued up. Life events......err no peri meno.

You are just the right age. I take it you have not a clue about your own cycle because of your coil. The good news is you can use that for the progesterone part of HRT if you are happy on it.
Have a good look at the menu on the left firstly for your symptoms and then for what's available to you.

Look around and join in as there is lots of help here.

Also there is a fact sheet for your hubby that can help him understand what is going on.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Shame so many doctors are clueless about the menopause. I saw heaps before finding one who referred me to menopause clinic.

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »

Hi Bellamy - Welcome to the forum.

You are not alone. I think I might have been a bit like you.
I hadn't thought about meno at all. I stayed on the pill till I was 54, long story, but oestrogen did give a definite benefit (regarding a health condition of mine - MS). However there were lots of things going on which should  have indicated menopause (crabby and panicky, brittle nails and hair, lots of UTI type things, oh and very dry down there). I just didn't realise.

After I stopped the pill the menopause symptoms came out with a vengeance, hot flushes and moods fit to murder. I had my FSH tested and while it isn't foolproof it did show menopause, on tests 6 months apart .

It sounds stupid, but because I had been getting a monthly bleed, menopause hadn't occurred to me.   ???

Do speak to your partner. Mine surprised me, he had guessed it was the meno, (he didn't mention it to me however).   ::)
Anyway, do explain, he will probably understand. Even if he doesn't, it's just the way it is.   ;)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:26:52 PM by Limpy »

ann123

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »

I also had a mirena coil which stopped my periods, so I never thought I was menopausal!! I thought I was too young!!!
Although I was younger, around 43, when things started to "change"
But, I realise now that 43 isn't to young as peri starts around 10 years prior to meno. Now at 53, mirena removed, on HRT, no more periods, and feeling good!!!

Evenstar

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »

Hello and welcome to you xxxxxx

Delilah

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »

Hi bellamy
Welcome to MM, sorry to hear you're having a difficult time like a lot of us here. Who'd be a woman eh?  You'll find plenty of great advice and ladies who dont mind having their ears bent.

Hope you start feeling well soon.

Delilah x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »

Hi bellamy

:welcomemm:

from me too.

Pity the doctor gave you sleeping pills without question, when what you may well need is oestrogen (depending on how far into meno you are)!

When you go back I would ask for some if you can - and as you have a Mirena  - and I presume you tolerate the progestogen in this as you will have had it for some time (?) then you may not need any extra progesterone to keep the womb lining thin.

Are you still having periods or have they stopped on the Mirena? Adding oestrogen can re-start some bleeding if you are peri-menopausal but deals with a lot of the horrible peri-meno symtpoms you mention as well as flushes and sweats if you are getting these - and therefore helps you sleep!

Hurdity x