Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Having a hysterectomy and a bit confused  (Read 2064 times)

Buffy

Having a hysterectomy and a bit confused
« on: July 21, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »

If I had not listened to my many friends (who have had/hadnot hysterectomies themselves) I would still be fine with my surgeon's advice to have my ovaries removed at the same time. However, I am now not sure. My well-meaning friends have sown seeds of doubt. Here's my scenario and I would be pleased to read anyone's comments - especially if your story is similar to mine. So here goes...
About 6 months ago it was discovered that I had calcified fibroids in my uterus. All was fine - come back in 6 months. So I did. Now it seems, things have progressed. My uterus is now the size of a 5 month pregnant one and I have 3 fairly large fibroids around it - on the outside I think. My gynacologist suggest I have it removed and my surgeon suggested that he would do a laparoscopical hysterectomy and remove my ovaries too. I am 55 years old, have been peri menopausal for the last few years. I hadn't had a period since July last year but then in March/April this year I had 3 in about 7 weeks - really, really heavy (I couldn't leave the house). I have had hot flushes for the last year or so but my blood test show I am not yet menopausal.
I would appreciate your comments - just to keep me sane!!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:34:03 PM by Buffy »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Having a hsteretomy and a bit confused
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »

I suggest you also look at the Ovacome web-site (which is how I landed here) - they deal with ovarian cancers so will be au fait with such issues.  They have a very good e-mail feed back system.

My Gynae always told me that he would take ovaries as a matter of course - saves having to 'go back in at a  later date'  ;)

You could ring your Surgeon for a chat too.  This is your body and you do not have to rush this Surgical procedure.   Make sure that you know exactly why this is recommended and that you are happy with the decision.  I had to wait 6 months before I underwent breast surgery because I was not in a mental state to accept what ever diagnosis might happen.

Browse in the left menu list too ........

Buffy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 03:30:50 PM »

Thanks CKLD - but one thing I missed out was that all my tests for cancer were negaitve, so fingers crossed I don't have ovarian cancer.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »

I had hysterectomy mid 30s, ovaries left. 10 years later I was back again having them removed.
At hysterectomy they found fibroids & cysts. By time I had ovaries out, operation took quite some time as I had lots of adhesions.

Rowan

Re: Having a hysterectomy and a bit confused
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »

If at all possible I think ovaries should be preserved if they are healthy, whatever age a woman is.

They contribute to a woman's health even after menopause.

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2009/05/12/preserving-ovaries-preserving-health/

a skilled surgeon will be able to do this.

I am very glad I kept mine.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:23:14 PM by silverlady »