Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suffering personal heatwave  (Read 4933 times)

Joyce

Suffering personal heatwave
« on: July 19, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »

Not sure if it's this heat or flushes. Yesterday was terrible. Had several flushes, I think.  As some of you may know I'm now on Estradot 25 after gradually reducing from Estradot 50. Up until this heatwave I've maybe had a couple of flushes per day, which I'm not overly fussed about, I can cope. But since this heat started a couple of weeks ago, I've been getting quite a few. Fortunately, not during the night.

Do you think it's the heat just accentuating my overheating.

Just had air-con fixed in car so told hubby if he can't find me that's where I'll be, unless of course he can be persuaded to get fan out the loft!

honeybun

Re: Suffering personal heatwave
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »

Think it will be the heat CG. Us Scottish lasses don't cope well in this.

I have felt much the same and I am not reducing my HRT.

It can actually make you feel quite ill. Try and stay cool and well hydrated....tea does not count.

My sister was at a funeral today and a lady in her 60s collapsed in church. Ambulance was called and they treated her in the van. They sent her home with the advice to drink more and keep cool.

I was at mum's today and felt terrible having to work in the heat.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »

I've been drinking so much water, I'm sure it's oozing out of me. Have jug of water in the fridge & ice lollies.

Really shouldn't complain should I? But boy it's quite toasty out there and even toastier indoors.

Hope your mum drinks plenty in this heat too HB.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »

I have decided I am hard to please with the weather. Warm enough for a nice tan but cool enough at night.

I was reading some interesting bits about how to get a good night's sleep in this heat. The key it would seem is cool feet. I dunked mine in the shower last night just before bed and slept really well.

Keep drinking and stay cool.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:28:06 PM »

I smooth Freeze Gel on my feet before getting into bed and then let the fan blow on them, really cools you down.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »

I will try something like that then. Fingers crossed.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »

They also suggested a damp sheet. Did not fancy that at all.

The hot weather does nothing for my appetite and I am getting sick of salads.

What do you eat when you don't want to cook or even turn the cooker on.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »

Re what to eat on a hot day

Our local pub does a good platter of mixed olives, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and toasted ciabatta.
Works really well on a hot day.

Clovie

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »

About wet sheets -

Just back from a week in Majorca
Now that was HOT!!!!
Our room had air-con supposedly but it was pants, blew warm air round  :(
so I did actually have to sprinkle water on a sheet and drape it over me so I could sleep.
Not the most comfortable sensation I have to say but it worked. The heat was unbearable!!!!

littleminnie

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »

Cotton nighty, put it in the fridge and put it on just before bed. Wet face cloth at the side if the bed, and a fan.

lesley998

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »

I am flushing every 20 mins, with full on beading sweat.  Pointless doing hair or make up in the mornings...cup of tea and hair dryer brings it on,  and soon I look like I have done 20 laps of the local swimming pool.

Bought an electric fan for a tenner in Argos - brilliant. 

Also old air hostess trick...run your wrists under cold tap....cools the blood and reduces heat and resets thermostat really quickly!!

Meg

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 01:28:21 AM »

I am sorry but I cant stand these very hot temperatures, just feel stiffled and really really uncomfortable.  If you have to be out in it the afternoon is very hard to bear.  I like to walk and keep busy but its so hard in this heat.  This evening about eight, thank goodness, there was a bit of a breeze.  I have found a huge tree in a local park and that is where I have taken refuge, underneath its spreading branches, it must be well over two hundred years old but I feel it is a friend to me in this heat.  With the schools breaking up I am bracing myself for noise, (that's another thing I cant handle now)! Roll on September, I am sounding like a grouch but have noticed that the heat is making me even more irritable, maybe I'm not the only one though.

Meg

Witches Cat

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 08:19:21 AM »

No Meg, you're certainly not alone.... thank goodness hubby fixed the bath taps the other evening, at least I can have a cool soak now, otherwise it was an over hot shower as the water pressure's been cut back round these parts, and it won't do "cool". ::)

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 08:56:53 AM »

This is why I love the Autumn and Winter - it is easier to get warm if you are chilly than it is to cool down if you are hot - more control somehow!

Taz x

lily

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »

Our bedroom gets the sun first thing, so in this hot weather I have to open the windows wide but keep the vetical blind closed and the curtains quite close together until I have dried my hair or I am soaking by the time I finish.  Bliss to use the air con in car on way to work, we have a fan which we move about the house.  I have trouble eating in hot weather too and can't stand the hot blast from the oven when I open it. 
Pages: [1] 2