Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Citalopram - Anyone ? Inositol, Kalms, Bach Remedies, Rhodial Root tincture  (Read 7365 times)

grumpyandIknowit

Hello Ladies - I was given Citalopram 10mg  a couple of weeks ago and I've taken them for about 2/3 weeks - however I have never taken them in an "ordered" fashion if that makes sense! If I remember I take them in the mornings  - but feel rubbish, so then I took them in the afternoon - whenever - but then woke up in the night, so decided to take them before bed and felt absolutely awful when I woke up with the most dreadful  anxiety and panic attacks, I've got to be honest I feel worse since I've been on them and have read the side effects and am convinced I've pretty much got all of 'em........... and they are numerous as anyone who's taking them will know!
But as I know I have to persevere with them I've also been taking some Inositol powder - and then possibly some Kalms before going to bed - or if I have run out of them some Rescue Remedy tincture in water or Rhodial Root........ could the concensus of opinion be that I'm pretty much overdoing it?
I cant suddenly stop them now after taking them for nearly 3 weeks can I? I've got 8 left could I take them alternately to wean myself off and try one of the above remedies, or has anyone else persevered and found them to be okay - or can I anyone offer a glowing report for any other AD they might be on.........
Sorry to be a pain  :-\

XX

Clovie

Hi
I was once given citalopram 10mg for anxiety after a car crash.
I was told 10mg would be useless for depression purposes - nowhere near strong enough, but apparently that is the dose for anxiety.

I didn't stay on them long, because they didn't help at all really (was told by my GP that for anxiety purposes should work very quickly whereas for depression purposes ADs take a good few weeks to take effect)
Well. I managed without them - my driving anxiety took ages to go, but went on its own in the end,.
While I was on citalopram I had horrid side effects - and yes, I felt worse on them than off - so I decided to stop after about 2 weeks.
I just stopped taking them - whoah - BIG mistake!!! I had the mother of all panic attacks, and generally felt really panicky until I started them again.
then I weaned off slowly by reducing the dose bit by bit and I was fine.
I would be reluctant to use them again personally. My own reason for this is that they completely killed my interest in nocturnal sport  ;) and that in itself is an anxiety for me and the closeness of my marriage.

Would be interested in others opinions though as have suffered lately with a bit of anxiety related to hormones and the hrt I have tried, and may need to try them again x

Edited to say - my post was a mere attempt to give you my experience of coming off them - but as usual I digressed and wrote War and Peace ;)  ;D ;D  x
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:20:07 PM by Clovie »

Hurdity

Hi grumpy

Just wondered what you are taking Citalopram for if you are having a bad time on it, and whether something else might help?

Is it meno related and if so are you on HRT or have you tried it?

Hurdity  x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Most Anti-depressant medications need to be taken at a specific time.  I take mine (5mg Cipralex, same 'family') in the evening and if necessary another 5mg at breakfast.

It is important to take these meds regularly to develop a low maintenance dose to aid the brain chemistry.  Adding other 'stuff' can confuse us as to whether it works/not  ::) -I use Rescue Remedy if necessary but last week it didn't work  :-\

Delilah

Hi grumpy

I'm taking mirtazapine 30mg for bad anxiety. I take them every evening before bed as they do make you feel very sleepy to start. I have to say i was in a pretty bad way and they did calm things down for me straight away. Had quite a few blips but stuck with them as you need to come off these gradually too.

Hope this helps.

Delilah x

grumpyandIknowit

Thank you very much X

Dyan

I'm on Mirtazapine too grumpyandiknowit but 15mg at night for anxiety.
They were very quick to start working and my anxiety was a lot better in just a few days.
Sometimes when first given ADs you have to ride out the bad bits until it gets into your system( if you can that is)
I felt worse at first on Mirtazapine but as I've had ADs before I knew that this would pass and it did.
All ADs work differently,some taking longer than others for that bad bit to go and start working on what it's meant to be doing. :)

Dyan X

Lucky Stone

I'm on sertraline - 50mg - take mine after breakfast. Haven't had any side effects and after 6 weeks or so I am feeling the benefits. Hubby says he has noticed the change in me. Hope that helps.