Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Endometrial Biopsy  (Read 3067 times)

foxxy65

Endometrial Biopsy
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »

It has been a while since I have been on here and posted.  The last time I did post I was talking about my prolonged periods (bleeding for up to 21 days straight, not heavy).  Anyway, went to my gyno.  She did thyroid hormone testing, sent me for thyroid ultrasound, pelvic ultrasounds, and also did mammogram at same time to get that out of the way.  Mammogram is negative.  Thyroid blood work is normal, but the u/s showed a nodule on thyroid so will need to go see an endocrinologist.  I do have some fibroids, although small ones, small cysts on ovaries, and a thickened endometrium. 

Today I had the endometrial biopsy, was nervous about it but as it turned out, it was really not painful at all.  Of course, I took 800 mg of Advil 1 hour before the procedure.  Could not believe how quick it was.  So now I wait for results.  She thinks the bleeding could be from the fibroid though.  So then I did ask her about my cycle irregularity, anywhere from 18 days to 42 days cycle.  She said that is most likely hormonal and that it is okay if they are irregular like that (well at out age anyway) BUT  when we have irregular bleeding or heavy prolonged bleeding, they always want to investigate that.

Just thought I would share.  I was reading about endometrial thickening and it seems to be most common in perimenopausal women?   Well my journey continues.   Have a great one ladies.   :) 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Endometrial Biopsy
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:22:52 PM »

:thankyou:  sharing experiences helps!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »

Hi foxxy

There's a good article about the peri-menopuase on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

It explains that during peri-menopause as the ovaries begin to decline in function, in some cycles you do not ovulate (or maybe ovulate irregularly) and therefore you do not have a period (or the cycle gets longer). This means the oestrogen carries on building up the womb lining and it doesn't get shed, (as there is no progesterone produced because there is no egg released) and the endometrium therefore gets thicker.

THis is much less of a worry amongst peri-menopausal women, but good that they are checking you out anyway.

Hurdity x

foxxy65

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:33:34 AM »

Thank you Hurdity, good information. I do believe that is my problem, not ovulating some cycles.  Last cycle was 41 days long.