Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: advice please  (Read 3650 times)

tink

advice please
« on: July 17, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »

Hi ladies,

thank you for all your help before with regards to going on holiday, I was fine all through my holidays no more panic attacks  :) Vegas was fab :)

However once more I am looking for advice, whilst on holiday I still had days when my anxiety was up, so mentioned it to GP when I came back and she suggested changing my Fluoxetine from 20mg to 40mg. although the HRT has stopped the flushing and the night sweats I still have certain days in the month when my anxiety is high, which causes my mind to go into over drive, and bring on the panic.

Have any of you ladies benefited from increasing your AD with regards to the intense anxiety feelings, and did it help, I am frightened I will turn into a zombie with all the medication.

Lucky Stone

Re: advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

I can't actually help with your question but will say that I have been on Sertraline for about 7 weeks now and do feel overall a lot better - my thought patterns seem to be more settled - but I still do get days when I feel anxious, it's a kind of unsettled feeling. Hard to put my finger on it really, just some days I feel really good and others not so, although overall I have to admit I'm feeling better than I was. It still seems to be linked to the hormones as I sense a pattern although I haven't been keeping actual track of it.  I'm not sure when the doc will call me back (she was supposed to be referring me to a psychologist but no news on that yet) and if she does suggest increasing the dose I am willing to give it a go. I know what you mean about being afraid of "zombiefication" as I was too but I have to say that the Sertraline appears to suit me - it took a few weeks - but I haven't felt sick and only one day of feeling a bit strange.  :-\ Hubby has also commented that I am more like my "old self" so that has been encouraging. I would give the increase a go and see how you get on, you can always reduce the dose again if it doesn't suit. I'm always very nervous of all the listed side effects of drugs but I do trust my GP and so far, she's been spot on with the help she has given. Good luck x

Elena

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »

could you try 40g on alternate days giving you an overall 30mg per day to start with?

Delilah

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »

Hi tink

I increased from 30mg to 40 after a few months on Ad's then after about 18 months back down to 30's. Like you my anxiety was pretty bad and to be honest i didn't notice any negative effects from the increase. Once i had a long run of feeling much better i gradually decreased by alternating doseage over a month then continued on the lower dose. I had a few weeks of waking earlier but that settled and all is good at the mo. Hope to decrease to 15mg at some point but not just yet.

Give it a go and as lucky stone said you can always decrease again if it doesn't suit, but i would say do things gradually and give things a chance to settle.

Good luck, i hope you feel well soon.

Delilah x

tink

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »

Hi ladies,

I had already decided to start the increase on alternate days Milliemoo to try to ease it in slowly then after a couple of weeks go up to the 40 mg if needed, I had horrendous side effects when I started on 20 mg.

Hopefully because the fluoxetine is already in my system I wont be as bad.