Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: No more Periods ..mmm...  (Read 3262 times)

latefortysomething

No more Periods ..mmm...
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »

Hi ladies,
Well I should change my username to "flipping50something" I think, 51 this year and periods have stopped - "hurrah" you might say but all is not well....Doctor told me my eostrogen levels were fine and I was too young...scream...ask a different doctor get a different answer....(no blood tests done either)
sorry to sound so fedup, but basically in a nutshell...depression and this feeling of "whats the point" has engulfed me for most of the year...I just don't know what to do, never had depression like this.....any ideas...could this be...low oestrogen, I haven't the foggiest...
I know many of you are suffering, so apologies for the moan...but it's bad...
any thoughts on this... I was thinking of asking for a low dose bio-oestrogen pill which contains bio oestrogen and a better progesterone ..but I don't know, whether I just need anti-depressants, if only I knew.
Plus hair loss again/shedding, feeling as though a period may arrive but does not and general fatigue..but depression is bad and the future looks black...oh dear!
Thanks

Limpy

Re: No more Periods ..mmm...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »

Hi latefortysomething

This Dr of yours, is it male or female?
How can they say your oestrogen levels are fine, how can they tell if blood tests aren't done.....
Also, how can 51 be too young when the average age for menopause is 52, and lots of ladies on here started much earlier than that.

Don't apologise for moaning, this is the place to come, we've all felt like it.
I am not an expert, but the things you describe do sound like low oestrogen, but it would be useful to get a test.
Is it possible to see a different doctor?

Sure somebody will be along soon who know what they are talking about.

Evenstar

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »

I agree. Go and see a different Dr. xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »

Have a talk with your Practice Nurse?

Blood tests are notoriously difficult to interpret with regards hormone levels.  My Gynae refuses to do them!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »

Hi latefortysomething/flipping50 something!

Sorry to hear this. I agree with limpy - if your periods have stopped then your oestrogen levels can't be fine! OK they won't drop to their lowest level until around 2-3 years post-meno but I am sure you will still benefit from replacement oestrogen.

Are you getting other symptoms like flushes or sweats? Even if you aren't, I would ask for a low dose HRT if you can - most of the estrogens are bio-identical (apart from the premarin/premique ones which are derived from horse urine).

Yes go to a different doc and try to get a prescription for HRt for a 3 month trial at least and see how you get on. Some women are affected by declining testosterone levels too which affect mood but this would not be prescribed in the absence of HRT in the first instance, and even then quite unusual on NHS if you still have a womb.

Hurdity x

latefortysomething

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »

Hi ladies,
Many thanks for replying and your support!  Good advice and I should go to see another doctor, trouble is we have to wait about 2 week here, but thats' no excuse.  Truthfully no flushes, did have,  and they're gone. ;D..strange.  Although I take the point about low testosterone and mood.   I think the advice about low dose HRT is helpful, really did not want to go down the AD route.   
It really is awful depression when it hits you, like a black cloud..anyway I'll stop there and do something positive to help myself rather than just moaning.
But you know what drives me mad is the fact that I feel like I'm taking up valuable GP time, it's like a race from the minute you enter the surgery...GP just sits there typing away at her PC....as someone else said...NHS would be fine of it were not for the pesky patients...I jest.. but seriously.
Limpy:_ doctor was female but no sympathy!  CKLD:-,had not thought about a practice nurse,  what a great gynae at last one with sense!   Hurdity:- great advice, thanks Evenstar too,
Thanks again for reply ladies, hope you're all well.
Take care!
X