Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Lack of concentration  (Read 4630 times)

bramble

Lack of concentration
« on: August 01, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »

My friend is menopausal and her biggest problem is lack of concentration - a problem that has come up a lot in posts. Have you found that HRT has helped this or not? Or has anything else helped?
Bramble

Taz2

Re: Lack of concentration
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »

HRT definitely helped me with concentration and memory.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »

Better on it than off it, that's for sure.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »

Even though I am on HRT I sometimes really struggle to find the right words. They are there in my brain but refuse to come out of my mouth. It's really frustrating and the more flustered I get the worse it becomes so I do a good line in gobbledygook.

Concentration is ok as long as I have no distractions.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »

I do a good line in gobbledygook.

Me too. But then I've always been an expert at it! Speaking without thinking my mum said. Problem is if I'd taken time to think it, the moment was past.  ::)

ann123

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »

I am exactly like you honeybun. I know what I want to say and sometimes end doing a charade to get it out!!

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »

I really used to worry about it and thought it was Alzheimer's. I then linked it to my own cycle. Always worse before a period, now on HRT it comes and goes.
If I get tired it gets worse.

I also drive hubby up the wall by having a conversation in my head and then including him at the end when he has no idea what I am on about. All in all I can be a bit batty.

Honeyb
X

ann123

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »

Recently I was trying to remember the word "bubble wrap"
I started pressing my fingers together and saying it goes pop!
My husband thinks I am going mad!
I hope it isn't Alzheimer's, how does one know???

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 12:03:50 AM »

My mum often worried about this before actually developing it. She asked her GP & he said if you realise you're talking about it you're fine, it's when you don't realise it, you're in trouble. Not sure that's the case though, I'm thinking Terry Pratchett here. He knows he's developed it and discusses it. So wonder if my mum's GP was just placating her.  ???

ann123

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »

Must admit, I do worry about it a bit. But no one in the family has ever had it so I hope I won't!!

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »

There is such a lot of confusion over Alzheimers and dementia. Some forms seem to be genetically linked and others, such as multi-farct dementia, are caused by an illness which may be genetically linked. My mum had the multi-farct (vascular) dementia and although this is not something which will be passed down to myself the condition which caused it (diabetes) can be.

Good information here http://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/dementia-information/

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »

My mum's father developed it late in life. Her younger sister developed it late 50's. My mum was probably about 70ish.  Her mum was still holding intelligent conversations 2 days before she died in her 80's. Hope I get her genes!

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »

My neighbour had this type http://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/dementia-types/10001/dementia-with-lewy-bodies/  which was totally different to my mum's vascular dementia.

She would hallucinate and mostly the hallucinations involved people not having any heads. This did not worry or frighten her. She took the practical stance and if it was a no-head day you would not be offered a cup of tea or anything to eat because "There's no point dear seeing as you haven't got a mouth". Horrible for everyone concerned but also fascinating as to how the brain can behave.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 11:21:16 AM »

There's a bit here about the risk factors for those worrying about developing some form of dementia http://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/dementia-riskfactors/  I found it surprising that one in twenty of people over 60 has it. As I am 59 that makes for worrying reading!

Taz x