Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help re vagifem and estriol please  (Read 9602 times)

Ljp

Help re vagifem and estriol please
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »

Hi ladies,
I have just finished a 3 week loading of estriol cream, and am now on twice weekly, been using it for a month in total.
When I went to my GP after the first two weeks of using, she mentioned that I could try a pessaries version, at the time I said I was happy to continue with the cream. However I am off on holiday to Turkey next week, and thought the pessaries might be less messy, re swimming and wearing a bikini etc, so I put in a prescription request for pessaries, thinking it would be estriol pessaries.
My husband went and got my prescription and it is vagifem pessaries, which are estradiol, now not sure if I should use them or not? It says one twice weekly, but is that ok after having done loading with estriol?… feeling confused and unsure as to what to do, also does Vagufem carry more health risks as its stringer/different hormone?
Thank you, I did update my previous post on this, but had no replies, and I'm due to dose tonight and not sure what to use 😁

oldsheep

Re: Help re vagifem and estriol please
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:27:46 PM »

I'm not sure as have never used estriol, but vagifem is excellent. Are you using opposing progesterone?
They told me at the meno clinic that vagifem is a low dose.
I'd trust Hurdity who posted on the other thread  - estriol isn't available in pessaries any longer so you have to use vagifem.
I can confirm it's fine with swimming. Enjoy Turkey!

Ljp

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »

Thank you old sheep, I use serenity cream as opposing progesterone, but from what I understand, it's not necessary to oppose vaginal preparations?
I'm just not sure if it's ok to start using Vagufem twice weekly, after loading with estriol?
It's mostly over active  bladder and soreness after sex that I have problems with, urgency and frequency of urination being the most troublesome

oldsheep

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:05:03 PM »

vagifem helps with my over active bladder.  Just try it?  good luck

Ljp

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »

Do you oppose the oestrogen old Sheep? How long have you been using Vagifem?
Another menopausal issue is I get over anxious and think too much about everything! 😊
I'm 50 and no periods since last August, now all the symptoms are worsening, but hate the over active bladder, downright embarrassing, and making it that I dont like going out unless I know where toilets are, and hate long car journeys especially mornings are worse!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 08:35:17 PM »

Quite right you don't need progesterone with vaginal oestrogen.

The two oestrogens work in slightly different ways to achieve the same effect - estriol binds stronlgy to beta receptors and only weakly to alpha receptors. Estradiol binds to alpha receptors  - so not sure how suddenly changing from one to the other will work at cellular/biochemical level. However in terms of the re-loading - well since the aim of both preparations is to work in the same way to plump up the tissues, then my view would be that if two weeks loading has done its job, then you should be able to go straight to the twice weekly dose.  It can't possibly do any harm anyway and you will soon know if it's less effective.

There really are no health risks from using either type of vaginal oestrogen - gynaes recommended women can be on them for ever once prescribed - and in fact more health benefits. Your doc wouldn't give them to you otherwise!

I did say on the other thread that Estriol pessaries were no longer available, and that the only ones were Vagifem which contained estradiol!!

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:13:05 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, it was only that when I saw my GP, she looked on her screen and said that there were pessaries available I could try if I wanted, I just presumed the same hormone, I only asked for the pessaries as I thought the cream will be messy on holiday, but now I'm doubting if I should use the Vagufem at all, for the sake of a holiday…reading the leaflet in the Vagifem box is enough to terrify me, mention of vaginal bleeding, headaches, increased endometrium etc etc
Wonder if I can return prescription to chemist for a refund?

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 06:00:12 AM »

Lisajp
go look on the anitibiotics box youd never take them either
Panadols cause Liver damage bet you take them with out a thought yes?
Give Vagifem a go If you feel crap stop but what have you to loose? xxxxxxxxx

Ljp

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 07:10:06 AM »

Very true Suzie Q 😊…as if making informed choice is hard enough? but when you have a menopausal mind, mixed with irrational thoughts, brain fog, anxiety and depression, geeez I drive myself crazy with it!!

One other thing, on leaflet it says you shouldn't just stop using Vagifem without discussing with Dr, why?

Suzi Q

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 07:48:52 AM »

EASY u dont stop most medicines that your taking for a medical problem
Your being given Vagifem for a medical problem Like Col pills or BP pills
Plus if you stop all your symptoms will flood back with in a week or 2
They want you to be aware Vagifem as is Ovestin and many others not a cure its a HELP xxxx

ancient runner

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »

LisaJP - remember they put the same labels on any hormone product regardless of whether it's the weakest vaginal cream or the top end full fat HRT. I just don't read them now - you'd think a vagifem pessary was crack cocaine from reading all that stuff. It's not. You really are overthinking this I promise.

Suzi Q

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 12:43:31 PM »

OH ANCIENT CRACK COCAINE heheheheheheh LOVE IT XXXXXXXx

ancient runner

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »

Suzi Q  ;)

Ljp

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »

Thanks ladies 😊