Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Here we go!  (Read 8532 times)

Hurdity

Re: Here we go!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »

Hi JacquelineL

I can't remember where you are in menopause and how regular your periods are/have been recently?

If your symtpoms are meno ralted then you would really be better off ditching the cohosh and definitley the anti-depressants - and replacing the oestrogen that is probably deficient - if you have never been depressed before then your symptoms are mostly likely to do with menopause.

Cohosh is not supposed to be taken long term due to possible safety concerns (and its effectivensss has not been proven yet) , but oestrogen needs replacing long term. Also Cohosh is a plant extract whereas if you choose the right type HRT will consist of bio-identical oestrogen.

Once you start down the route of anti-depressants it can become more difficult to decide to use HRT and to come off them so personally I would think again - as I said depending on where you are in meno.

Dr Currie herself doesn;t recommend their use as first line treatement for menopausal symptoms: extracted from the Menopause Matters Facebook page post on 13th May
https://www.facebook.com/menopausedoesmatter?fref=ts:

1. Antidepressants are not recommended for first-line treatment of menopausal symptoms such as flushes and low moods, yet are often offered by some GPs. Some antidepressants can be used if HRT is unable to be taken for medical reasons, but only after full discussion and after ruling out the use of HRT.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »

As someone who has taken ADs for many years: and as someone who fought like fury not to take them long-term - what ever the cause of depression, whether it be organic or clinical or whatever symptoms are triggered by: to take a medication which lifts mood in order to make informed choices should not be disregarded.

Once the depression has lifted then the causes can be explored: PTS, menopause, life situation ..........

Lucky Stone

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »

I am now on SSRIs for anxiety as well as a low dose HRT and do feel I am improving. But then, I have suffered with anxiety and panics on and off throughout my life so perhaps mine is meno exacerbated rather than triggered. I agree with CLKD - I also fought long and hard not to go down this route but gave into my GP's recommendations in the end. I think you need to do what you have to do to get well.

Delilah

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 02:21:44 PM »

I agree, my anxiety symptoms were so severe at the beginning that i had to have AD's to calm everything down. I'm sorry to say that if i had waited for hrt to kick in i may not have been here now. I'm not exagerating thats how bad it was. You do need to do whatever it takes to start on the road to feeling well and a bit more in control.

Delilah x
Pages: 1 [2]