Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan 100mg daily  (Read 6009 times)

Badga

Utrogestan 100mg daily
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »

Hi Guys

My prescription for Utrogestan is to take 1 tablet daily.  However, the instruction leaflet seems to indicate that it should be taken for a period of time and then there should be a break.  There is no mention of this on my prescription.  I am postmenopausal and do not have periods any more.  I am interested to hear if anyone else on here taking it continously, or otherwise?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:01:02 PM by Badga »

honeybun

Re: Utrogestan 100mg daily
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »

You should take the progesterone daily at this doseage for conti use   ie no bleed.
If you are going for a sequi regime then it's 200mg for 12 days of the month.

I have just changed to this kind of HRT and will be using the 200mg.

Honeyb
X

Badga

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »

Thanks Honeyb.  My GP has given me 1 months supply of both patches and tablets, so I was a bit confused by the leaflet.  All new stuff for me.  Glad I take them continuously.  So glad to be rid of periods.  At least that's one good thing about menopause ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »

Hi Badga

As honeybun says, normally progestogens are taken continuously if you are post-menopausal. However you are correct Badga in what your leaflet says. For Utrogestan the licensed dosage even for conti is to take 100 mg on days 1-25 with a break of 3 days. Now I don't know how many doctors or women adhere to this - and as I used it on a cyclical basis I can't help here.

The thing with progesterone dosage is that it is approximate - one size fits all approach - so I expect the medical profession is playing safe with this one - just in case there is a small degree of uterus lining build up for some women ( in which case there could be a slight bleed after stopping the utro). Bio-identical progesterone such as utrogestan - whcih is the same as we have in our bodies - is weaker in its action preventing build-up of the womb-lining, compared to some of the synthetic progestogens - so this may be the reason for caution.

I don't know whether you have been using any other form of HRT or had any bleeding or spotting if so, but personally I would follow the instructions for the first 3 months and see what happens. If you don't get any withdrawal bleeding after the 3 off days then take it continuously. Alternatively have a word with your GP or whoever prescribed it.  On the other hand you may want to just go for it all the time from the start!

Good luck and keep us posted

Hurdity x