Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: help/advice with hrt  (Read 3973 times)

Libralady

help/advice with hrt
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »

Hello everyone, joined today as wanted to ask for some advice. I am a 52 year old lady, and last year was getting night sweats, aching joints, bad memory etc to the extent i was finding work hard to deal with. Was still having regular periods. Started on hrt last December, evorel conti patches. Everything was good, symptoms disppeared and only drawback was heavy bleeding. For the last few months I have had bad fluid retention and very tired when taking the patches with the progesterone. Been reading a lot on the internet and so confused. Have an appointment with my GP next week but get the impression she is not interested and only gave me the patches because I asked for them. Not sure what to do. Should I perservere? Change the progesterone? Give up and see what happens?Do I need a higher does of oestrogen?

honeybun

Re: help/advice with hrt
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Bit confused here. You say you are on a conti patch. That means no bleeds. That should have settled within 6 months. Also it means you are having continuous progesterone.

Did you mean Evoril Sequi ?

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

Hi Libralady - welcome from me too.

I wondered too if you meant sequi and not conti. If you were still having regular periods when you started HRT then you really should be on a sequi regime as you are under the recommended age to start a conti one.

You will find lots of support on here.

Taz x

Libralady

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »

oops it is evorel sequi I am on, sorry about that....confused again.

JeanneA

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »

Hi, I just wanted to say 'welcome' I myself am new to this forum, I hope you get some good advice on here.  I am also 52 and have been going through the menopause about 1-2 years, I have many hot flashes and night sweats, tiredness amongst other symptoms, I haven't tried HRT as I'm worried about the breast cancer risk.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 03:55:18 PM »

Hi libralady and another welcome!

Just to say - fluid retention is often associated with progesterone and tiredness is normal . However if you want to try a different type then how about Femseven ( different progestogen) or if you want to increase the oestrogen level you would have to go for seperate oestrogen and progesterone. So one of the oestrogen only patches ( next dose up is 75 mcg), or gel ( some find it easier to tweak the dose of gel) and micronised progesterone (Utrogestan). They are all listed under HRT preparation in the green menu on the left.

Oestrogens http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php
Progestogens http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

You might have to persevere with your doc and print off the different types - it seems some docs haven't heard of utrogestan and refuse to prescribe it. You have to call it micronised progesterone if this is what you decide.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Libralady

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.
Not sure what to do for best, you read things and sometimes get conflicting reports.
Would I be better trying the patch with the different progesterone or start to look at increasing oestrogen? 

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »

Hi libralady - I think you need to mention to your doc if you are having heavy bleeding and if it is much heavier than you have had - although this can happen anyway with peri-menopause.  This is due to the oestrogen - which you need to counteract the menopausal symptoms. I presume you have been checked over re fibroids or polyps etc?

The progesterone type is a different issue. Maybe try the other one ie Femseven, but depends what the doc says re the bleeding - if you mention it.

At the moment it doesn't sound like you need more oestrogen as this will increase the womb lining and therefore the bleeding, if you don't also increase the progesterone - which at the moment is causing you problems. As you were still having regular periods very recently then it is likely your own your own hormones will be cycling up and down still.

Hurdity x

patrica scammell

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »

hi there well I have been on hrt for about 3years now after going thru 5 brands of h r t which include Elleste duet lmg low dose when I was perimeno, then needed something a bit more stronger..went onto femoston, Angeliq.then premique from the horses urine) the latter was ok but after so long once again nthateeded something stronger, I then read on this forum someone tried and suggested Climesse 2mgs of estradiol and 0.7 mgs norethisterone..I find this one very good skin is so soft no bones aching,no head aches,libido still here just my hair has gone thin..no weight gain or bloating, but I found out thru constant trial on myself that I need more estrogen than progestoren..that's the key no your body..paty