Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gallbladder Attack  (Read 7129 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gallbladder Attack
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »

That's more like it  :peace:

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »

Really pleased to hear you are feeling much better Trey.

My sis has her gallbladder removed and wishes she hadn't. She has really bad bowel problems now and there is no cure for that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Honeyb
X

Trey

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »

HB. So many people think GB lap surgery is a walk in the park and yet about ten percent have dumping syndrome.  No such thing as simple surgery.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »

Dumping syndrome?  :-\ ........  ???  (reptiles dump ......... )  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »

Dumping syndrome is horrible - a friend had that after his surgery for pancreatic cancer. The surgery gave him two years extra life - two horrible years to be honest.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »

It affects the body how exactly?

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »

It empties the stomach contacts suddenly into the bowel. It can happen within minutes of eating or a few hours later. It is painful and very socially embarrassing. It can also lead to malnutrition if not controlled. There is some info here about it http://www.motilitysociety.org/patient/pdf/Dumping%20Diet%205%204b%202006.pdf

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »

My sister's consultant did not tell her that little fact and when my hubby was seeing a consultant he left that question till the very end of his appointment. When he did ask he was told it was very very common.

My sister is miserable as it is impossible to figure out what foods trigger it as it changes so much.

Consultants should inform people of this.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »

How long ago did she have her op Honeybun. It can take around six months to settle.  I don't know if there is anything of use to your sister here http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladdersurgery.shtml ?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »

It's nearly two years ago Taz. She is ok some of the time and bad at others. It's the unpredictability that gets her down.

Funny enough the first six months or so we're fine. I would say it now happens about once a month or so. She has kept a food diary which helps a little.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »

How awful!  I would have thought a temporary colostomy would ease symptoms until the bruising etc. from the original op. healed.  Then introduce food stuffs gently before reversal.  Certainly patients should be warned!

I had a lot of those symptoms when my anxiety was bad: sudden toileting, cold sweats, hot sweats, shaking ...... so I never knew if my body wanted to empty or not ......... which made going anywhere extremely difficult.  Didn't realise there was a name for the condition t hough

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »

I don't think a colostomy,temporary or permanent, would help things. When the gall bladder has been removed there is nothing else to do its job so the situation would always be there.

It can be a miserable situation but  for some it's the only answer.

Honeyb
X

Pages: 1 [2]