Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Pharmacy error  (Read 5759 times)

sweatybet

Pharmacy error
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »

After lots of discussion gp prescribed femoston 0.5/2.5 conti.   Went to pharmacy and enquired if it was in stock or needed to be ordered in.   After looking through drawers told yes no problem.  When I got home and opened the bag surprise surprise wrong dose have been given 1/5.  Rang them could hear pharmacist saying oh it's the same thing and the assistant saying no you have given the wrong dose.  He came on the phone and said oh sorry bring it back I will change it, it was not me that dispensed it.  Know full well it was him.  When I pointed out it was a serious incident he asked to ring me back.  When he did he said a full enquiry would take place and the pharmacist on duty would talk to me tomorrow when I pick up the script.

It's worrying that such a mistake could be made by two people checking the script.  They also tried to charge me a double prescription lucky I am aware of the charges.  Won't be using them again.

Will let you know how I go with the femoston.

SB

kerrieann

Re: Pharmacy error
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »

unbelievable  mistakes like that should not happen in a pharmacy it could be really dangerous.
i have been going through a "mistake" made at my gp surgery this week and it really makes me wonder are they so overworked that mistakes are made or what is it ?
anyway hope your meds are helpful to you now you have the right ones  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »

Years ago DD used small local pharmacy to get a prescription filled. She was given double the dose required. She fortunately noticed before taking. She complained. This was long before she became a nurse too. Just as well she noticed.

I know mistakes happen, but when it involves drugs, it's scary.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:19:36 PM »

I have had mistakes made for both me and my kids at one of the local pharmacies. I put in a written complaint and also reported them. It is,a long time ago and I really can't remember what they prescribed wrongly but the pharmacist was dismissed as there had been a lot of problems.
I now go to my local Morrison's and have a great relationship with the pharmacist. She deals with OHs insulin and is just great. She fussed over him and even phones us at holiday time to make sure we are prepared.

Honeyb
X

KatieLiz

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »

I thought Femoston conti was 1mg/5mg - I didn't know they did a lower dose.  Also when there is estrogen and progesterone you do have to pay for two prescription charges.  I must admit when that happened to me I nearly had a menopausal meltdown!

Suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:02:09 AM »

No it happens here happend with my son hes on antidepressant for life
He took his script got it made out and like most men didnt check he just took his pills
3 days later he felt odd went to Casuality where they took his pills and said YOU do know these are HEART PILLS
They had a sim name Son went nuts Chemist all apologies never happen again took son 2 weeks to feel normal again
2 years later same thing happened again same chemist same script this time he got home went to take one and looked at the PKT same mistake This time he reported chemist to the place where you complain Chemist was fined and warned
Problme was he was a foreign Chemist Malaysian I think and he admitted that sometimes he got confused daaaaaa
He still is there but he has 2 other chemists in with him I wanted to know how he got his licence
he couldnt read english properly???????????????? 1 mistake but 2 same person same pills same mistake each time

sweatybet

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »

Hi ladies

This low dose femoston conti finally got released last September. In USA they have more low dose products available.

Any hrt which is continuous attracts one prescription charge.  But feel it very unfair to charge two for the sequential type. If they try to charge double get them to look it up.

Suzi q sadly he was African and I can see how it could happen except I made a point of discussing the dose with the assistant.

SB

Rosebush

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »

This as happened to me as well, wrong pills given and wrong HRT patches, our local Pharmacy as now changed hands i have gone back to using it, all i got was an apology, although i did inform my Gp surgery..I now check every Prescription & all meds before i leave the shop..x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »

I have different story. a certain GP at our Practice prescribed ear drops instead of eye drops for red eye cause by a flu virus, it was only after OH checked the prescription outside in the car that he said to me that "why has GP prescribed ear drops for your eyes ?

We went back to out Pharmacist and told him and he was horrified and said if I had put the drops in  my eyes I could have been blinded, he told me to go back strait away to my Surgery and tell him.

The receptionist would not let me see the Doctor who had prescribed the drops and went into see him, she came back and said the doctor had apologised and gave me the right prescription :o

I wrestled with whether I should report it and complain but in the end I did nothing, but I never went to  see that particular doctor again. He was the one whi  also prescribed an anti- biotic for my viral throat which caused a violent reaction, I stopped taking them but did report it to my own GP.

It scares me to think of so many mistakes being made within the NHS now.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »

Old saying but very true..

Doctors bury their mistakes.

We put our trust in them to get it right and sadly sometimes they just don't. If you use the same pharmacist then they keep details of your meds and will notice any contraindications.
I have a drawer full of the wrong HRT. I could honestly keep some of you supplied for three months.
We don't pay in Scotland but what a waste. I now check before I leave the shop.

Honeyb
X

walking the dog

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »

Not had a problem with a pharmacy but a few years ago i received a letter from a local hospital saying my details had been passed to them from my gp and they would like me to take part in some research as i had suffered from a stroke and i was a candidate. Well i have never had a stroke, it came as news to me i can tell you! There are two people at my gp surgery with my name and i knew it was the other person straight away i rang and spoke to the gp receptionist who denied all I insisted she check my medical records and sure enough the other persons notes were in my records and not only that she had passed away! All the receptionist said was 'oh giddy me' a few times! i asked to have the notes removed. Totally disorganied sometimes! xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »

THere shouldn't be any errors as 2 people supposedly sign off each prescription  ::)