Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: foot wear and back ache ?  (Read 10554 times)

kerrieann

foot wear and back ache ?
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »

any thoughts anyone as to whether footwear plays much of a role in contributing to back problems ? i had plantar facilitis sp? a few years ago from wearing completely flat flip flops and boy did it hurt  since then i have worn birkenstocks or thick soled spongey type flip flops for as long as the wheather will allow and then mainly ugg type sheepskin boots not the cheap ones i might add ;)  and was wondering if i have made my back worse any recommendations or ideas would be welcome  kerrie

Joyce

Re: foot wear and back ache ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »

I had plantar fasciitis a while back too. I've always been bothered with my back so not sure the two are connected. However, I bought Fit Flops which helped both greatly. My problem was wearing pumps, no support whatsoever. Anyway I was first given special insoles to correct my feet from podiatrist. But condition returned and got special heel pads from physio. Brilliant. Spongy, took the ouch out of walking. She also gave me special exercises & ultra sound treatment.

Sorry to say this but podiatrists & physio said no matter how expensive the Uggs there's not enough support. Ever since then I've watched folk who wear them and as often as not they are walking on the instep of the boots as no support.

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:56:52 PM »

yes i thought that the uggs didnt give much support i did actually put insoles in them but it defeated the object of the warmth of the boots  :(  i have never tried fit flops though have they got a thick sole as thats what i need so as not to get plantar fascilitis again i will google them and see  my other half is not going to be happy with me i have recently bought 2 pairs of birkenstocks thinking they would be good for my feet and now iam not so sure and now iam off again looking for something else  ;D ;D

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »

I think if you look at the Fit Flops website the mention that they are good for plantar fasciitis. I developed it whilst on holiday one year. We were walking loads in Florida. Fortunately I had taken a pair with me. Made such a difference.  Birkenstocks are comfy but don't have the thick sole. I bought mine in John Lewis, but I'm sure if you search around you will find some cheaper, maybe in a sale.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »

Yep - I have mentioned this in 2 previous recent threads.

I remember the Surgeon I worked for asking a woman, complaining of back pain, to walk up and down the Ward. "Go home and buy decent shoes, come back in 3 months" ..........

Stands to reason.  If we elevate we tip forwards, therefore the back has to compensate .......

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »

I have not worn high heels for years and have cushioned insets in my boots and sandals, I still have low back pain so I hope when I see the Orthopaedic Consultant he does not say that to me, or I will give him a piece of my mind!

I wear fit flops in fact I have two pairs, I practice Ergomonics I also walk barefoot in the house and garden.

Sorry if this is an overreaction but I think that it is an over simplication saying "Go home and buy some decent shoes"

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:50:05 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »

I agree - I could only wobble on heels so gave them up, once Dad had stopped telling me 'you can't go out in those'  ;)
Been in flats or mules ever since.  Only in the last 6 months has my sciatica been troublesome.

kerrieann

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »

me too only flats or  no shoes at all   my other half says that i worry about everything far too much and that is what caused alot of my aches and pains too much stress  :-\ i do though what to eat what to wear maybe i should take a leaf out of his book and stop worrying and trying to find answers to everything  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »

My DH told me many years ago that if I didn't have anything to worry about, I would worry ..........  >:( but he never reaslises how the physicality of worry affects me ........ HIM who can sleep through any crisis that is a 'probable' in our house  ::)

Foodwear should be appropriate. For many years I had a really comfy pair of Brasher walking 'boots', then I was pursuaded to buy another pair of Brasher's which I now have to put a heel pad on because they rubs my heels  >:(  ...... only found out after I had donated the first pair  ::) ; wellies I use most of the Winter, for gardening, walking, cleanign out the chicken run ......... driving I wear flats as I can't drive in the wellies; when I do find a pair of shoes that are comfy I tend to buy several pairs in different colours.

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »

I was also told by podiatrist that MBT shoes are very good for posture etc.

kerrieann

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »

clkd did you get my pm ?  my oh is exactly the same i can be worried sick about something and he sleeps like a baby he always tells me to stop worrying because it wont change a thing i know this is true but just how do you stop worrying or is this  form of anxiety ? there is always something going round and round in my head  :(

kerrieann

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »

cuba girl  mbt shoes sorry to be slow but i dont know what that stands for ?

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »

(Masai Barefoot Technology)

Had to look that one up myself.  ;)

kerrieann

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »

thanks i will look that up now  :)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »

YES! received PM have replied  - men don't worry about the same issues it seems  ::)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:41:14 PM by CLKD »