Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Desperate for help with mod swings and other symptoms  (Read 4861 times)

Sheryl

Desperate for help with mod swings and other symptoms
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »

I am new here.  I am 47.  Almost 2 yrs ago I started menopause symptoms, hot flushes, mood swings, tiredness and more, plus was starting to have very irregular periods.  Went to the doctor but was told it was far too early for menopause.  Persisted over few months but kept being told she thought I had polycystic ovaries.  No tests done.  After almost a year of symptoms worsening and going back and forth I had several blood tests that ruled out polycystic ovaries.  Another GP at same practice confirmed she believed I was in early stages of menopause.  This was over a year ago and my last period was 4 months ago.  I was offered HRT but told it only works for hot flashes and is no use at all for mood swings.  I am now totally desperate, the frequency and scale of my mood swings is so intense.  I have totally lost my temper numerous times at work and management are starting to give me a hard time.  I seemed to lose the hot flushes for a couple of months but they have returned to numerous times day and night.  I could live with these but the severity of mood swings is ruining my life.  I also have really dry vagina symptoms, joint pain and get very tired.  Tearful all the time.  Can anybody advise if there is any type of HRT they have found successful for the mood swings.  I am getting close to losing my job or having to resign and I work in a very male rather sexist environment so cannot rely on an understanding boss or work-place.

honeybun

Re: Desperate for help with mod swings and other symptoms
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you are having such a rough time and have a crap GP.

Of course HRT helps with mood swings. I was 49 when I started HRT and not only did it get rid of my flushes it also stopped the terrible mood swings I was having. I started with patches but pills do the self same thing.

My advice would be to go back to your GP and tell them you want HRT. If you have to play up the flushes part then go for it. It will help but I'm afraid you are going to have to insist.
Have a look at the green menu on the left to see what is available. Print off the information and take it with you if you think it will help.

You are not alone and will find lots of support here.

Now go make that appointment. You are entitled to a quality of life that HRT will give you.

Honeyb
X

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »

Hello Sheryl and welcome. I agree with Honeybun that you should insist on some treatment, and if your GPs have so little knowledge of the menopause they are in need of re-training! Like you I found the mental side of things very difficult to deal with and this prompted me to begin HRT six weeks ago.  Best wishes, you are not alone.
K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »

:welcomemm:  GPs don't seem to accept that we know our bodies best  >:(.  There is NO set time for perimenopause  ::) and as for telling you that you suffered with polycystic ovary symdrome without any investigations is bordering on negligance.

Have a read of the menus on the left of screen.
Make a list of your symptoms.
HRT can help various symptoms that we go through
Dryness, joint pain and crushing fatigue all sound familiar.

Do you have a Personnel Dept at work?  If your Company employs more than 250 people I think it is a legal requirement.  Maybe there is a GP seconded to your workplace that will visit when asked?  Tell them that you would like to speak with the GP if this is appropriate but don't be put off by it being a male oriented work enviornment - tell them that by helping you they will know a lot more when their wives reach menopause  ;) (assuming they are younger)

Take a list of your symptoms to the GP or Practice Nurse.  Discuss.  Tell them that having visited this Forum where ladies of all ages share experiences and advice, that you would like to try HRT.  Other than that, how about making an appt to see the local Pharmacist for advice?  They have a private room for discussion.

Sheryl

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »

Thank you all very much for the kind comments.  In particular I was so relieved to see mention of HRT helping with mood swings.  I've asked my GP about this several times and she was always emphatic it wouldn't so this has encouraged me to go back perhaps on a day an alternate doctor sits and try again.  It did seem wrong to me since my sister in law is French and in France they offer HRT much earlier so she has been having it since very early perimenopause.  Just the thought of getting my sanity back and feeling calmer has given me a boost so thanks to all of you.  :)