Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan.  (Read 4740 times)

honeybun

Utrogestan.
« on: June 27, 2013, 03:19:17 PM »

I bypassed the lady GP that I have been seeing as she had said no to going back to a bleed cycle and went to my tame GP. He is great for coughs and colds and when the kids were young but very clueless about the menopause. He listened to my request for a bio identical progesterone and happily wrote my prescription for exactly what I wanted.
So now I am sticking to my Evoril 50 oestrogen patches and using 200mg of Utrogestan for 12 days of the month.
He has given me 3 months and is interested to see how I get on.

I hope this will at least partly deal with my anxiety now it's a different progesterone.

Wish me luck.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »

Oh I do!  :yes:

Clovie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »

Utrogestan relieved lots of my anxiety/depression type symptoms, Honeybun, compared to a couple of different synthetic progesterones I tried earlier.

Only taken it this month so far, but so far so good.
Not a total 'cure' but much more bearable - hoping next month is the same!

Good luck!
Let us know how you get on! x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »

Hope it works Honeybun - loads of women have great results from it. I couldn't use it due to the high soya content and, I must admit, I didn't like the thought of having to take it on an empty stomach at bedtime. I often feel quite hungry just before bed.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »

I am going to use it vaginally as Hurdity does. I mentioned this to my GP and he said that was ok with him.
Mind you he is so accommodating if I had said I wanted to shove it up my nose he would have agreed to that too.

He is actually someone that I have known for almost 30 years and who saw me through 3 pregnancies. The thing I like about him is he actually listens. He told me he was not clued up on HRT and was happy I know what I wanted. I will miss him when he retires which must be next year.
We had a good blether while I asked about his wife and his holidays and he asked about my family and my mother.
If only all GPs were so nice.......and easily led  ::)

Honeyb
X

Liz

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:23:47 PM »

I'm starting Utrogestan this month too.  Will be interesting to compare experiences - good luck with it!

Tingly

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »

Didnt know you can use utrogestan vaginally? Just the usual tablets insertedd?

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »

Yes, Hurdity tells me it's not licenced for vaginal use in this country but it's the way they use it in France. Just pop one in it would seem. Cuts down on side effects and is very effective delivered this way.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »

I asked the meno clinic about this and they also said that it was licensed for treatment for fertility and IVF vaginally but not for menopause symptoms. There was some concern that the absorption was not enough to give protection to the womb lining and that not many tests have been carried out for it being used in this way but some women seem to do well on using it vaginally so I think it's a case of just trying it to see. Are you hoping that it will make you less anxious Honeybun?

Taz x

jasmine5

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »

I've been using utrogestan 100 along with Estradot 50 patches for quite a while now.  I originally used the utrogestan capsules for 25 out of 28 days a month but found that they aggravated my stomach and gave me heartburn at night.  The Doctor at the Menopause Clinic said that it was ok to use utrogestan for 14 days instead although I might experience a small bleed.

The first three months or so of the 14 day regime worked very well but then I started to experience very tender breasts and terrible sweating at night where my hair would be totally wet!! anyway a few days later I started a  very light period-type bleed which lasted 7 days in all.  This has now been occuring for the last four months regularly.  If I go back to the original 25 day cycle in order to stop the monthly bleed then my IBS and heartburn will most likely return. I'm not sure what to do now?  Does anyone know what the minimum dosage is that I can take safely where I will not have a bleed?
(Also should mention that I use utrogestan internally)

Jas x

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »

Yes that's exactly why Taz. I was never great on the progesterone part of my sequi and when I changed to Evoril Conti things got much worse. I also have had more headaches than I have ever had. Low grade but annoying.
It might not be the answer but hopefully if nothing else my mood might improve. I just feel very flat all the time as well as the anxiety.

Don't think it will be a miracle cure as the anxiety is now engrained but it won't hurt.
If I get a reasonable bleed I will use it vaginally if not then I will change to oral.

Honeyb
X

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »

Sorry our posts crossed.

I am going to use 200mg for 12 days of the month in the hope of having a bleed. It's 100 constantly for a continuous HRT.

If you are using it internally are you sure it's that that is causing the heart burn. That's one of the reasons I am going th e vaginal route is that it does not go through the liver and in theory should not affect the gut.

Honeyb
X

jasmine5

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »

Sorry when I said internally I meant vaginally lol- I don't think that using utrogestan this way has had much effect on the heartburn really, it still quite bad at night. I have found however that I don't feel quite so sleepy with the vaginal method.

Jas x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »

Heartburn is common at this time of Life  >:( - could be a hiatus hernia, have you tried over-the-counter antacids?