Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 63 and still on HRT after 10 years...  (Read 16493 times)

Pandora

Re: 63 and still on HRT after 10 years...
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »

Hi

I have been on hrt since I was 46 now 56. My gp told me it doesn't count if you are under 50 because your body isn't making enough. So I am counting the years from 50.

I go to the Womens Healthcare clinic at the hospital and they want me off it, but every time I reduce it I feel rubbish. I want a life quality that is good, not poor.

Pandora

Winterose

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »

I have been on Estradot 75 for 6 years and my Gp has just upped me to 100 , I had been struggling a bit the last 2 years trying not to up the dose but its stopped the nightly flush which was waking me up and feel much better as a result.I am 56.

Important thing is to keep weight down, keep fit and moderate your drinking. Being overweight and drinking 2 large glasses of wine a day as we all know is probably more damaging than transdermal hrt. Its a balancing act and family health history has to come into equation. Personally life would be seriously unpleasant for me without hrt and as a consequence everyone around me. I know 2 ladies who are in their 70s and still on it so hope I can do the same if I still have symptoms. :)

skkb

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »

Just wondering Pandora, if your doc "doesn't count" under 50 years as it means the body isn't making enough oestrogen, why should it matter when over 50 or over 60. I do think alittle benefits me, my body just functions better in many ways - I don't have any aches or pains at all and just feel generally better, so I guess stopping the hrt and feeling rubbish isn't an option I would be happy with. It is about quality.....no idea if what I'm doing is right, only that it's right for me at this time in my life!!!

Taz2

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »

Hi skkb - it doesn't count under the age of 50 because up to that age you would normally expect your body to make enough oestrogen so you are merely replacing what should have been there in the first place. The risks are thought to begin once you start adding to the years in which oestrogen is in your body - the longer the amount of oestrogen years the higher the risk of certain illnesses developing, particularly breast cancer. The risk is still small though.  Alcohol mimics oestrogen so if you are on HRT and also drink alcohol your risk increases again. My doc is all for women either being on HRT or drinking alcohol but not both!

Taz x

kerrieann

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »

wow taz,  i dont drink at all (alcohol) and dont use hrt  so does that mean if i started to have a drink each evening it would give me an oestrogen effect ???

Taz2

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »

I don't think it would have any beneficial effect on meno symptoms - which is a shame - not sure how it all works to be honest!

Taz x

skkb

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »

Ok thanks Taz, got it. I like a glass or two of wine in an evening, although try to have at least three alcohol free days each week, but it's not looking good for me then!!!

Taz2

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »

Having just got back from the pub.. nor me skkb!!

Taz x  :ola:

Winterose

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »

One thing is for sure we arent going to live forever :P

honeybun

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »

Might as well go happy.

Honeyb
X

;D

Rosebush

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »

Skkb, I am 63, and been on HRT since I was 60, purely for hot sweats, have stopped twice, once for 3wks and sweats came back with a vengence :'( even on HRT I still get night sweats, but not the sweat running down body one's..

Hope you can stay on HRT for as long as 'you' want to...x

Limpy

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »

Alcohol mimics oestrogen so if you are on HRT and also drink alcohol your risk increases again. My doc is all for women either being on HRT or drinking alcohol but not both!

Not both? - oh bu***r

littleminnie

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/menopause-and-hrt

I think it says we can have up to 4 units a day. (Phew) panicking for a minute then.

Taz2

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »

If you had four units a day that puts you at twice the recommended 14 units a week though and that's to do with bone loss not breast cancer I think :-\

A 175ml glass of wine is two units which surprises many people. Seven glasses a week....

Taz x

Morwenna

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »

Since being on HRT (two years) I have 'gone off' alcohol - not sure if it's hormone related but feels much like the going off alcohol that happens during pregnancy so maybe nature's way of protecting the body?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4