Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi, Im Nikki  (Read 2714 times)

Nikkih72

Hi, Im Nikki
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »

Hi
Just joined today,
I'm Nikki 40 years old, had a full hysterectomy last august at the age of 39 due to health reasons, which was ovarian cancer,
It was a shock as for last 3 years i kept having a recurring cyst on my ovary about 10x10x10cm it was found when i was 12 weeks pregnant with my youngest child, at 16 weeks pregnant i was rushed into hospital with severe pains, when they opened me up from belly button down to bottom of my stomach so not to harm the baby to much, they found the cyst was stuck on my bowels and ovary and could not be removed, they just drained it,
then over the past 3 years i have had this cyst drained about 6 times, the last time it was drained was July 2012, the results came back showing cancerous cells in the fluid, i had a letter on the Tuesday to go in and see my consultant on the Friday, when i entered the room my consultant introduced me to a 'Macmillan Nurse' that is when i knew something was wrong, after a long discussion, He had given me a appointment to go into hospital the next Monday for a full hysterectomy, 2 days notice, wow i was scared.
I am now healthy, it has not spread and they caught it earlier enough and removed everything,
I am now on HRT and am getting on with things slowly,
I have my helath and my 4 beautiful children and a lovely husband  :sunny:

So that's me Nikki,  Hi  :vibe: to everyone  :D

Now a problem i have got, I am on HRT since Aug 2012, i have put on over a stone of weight, i went back to my GP and she said it was not the HRT tablets causing this and would not change my tablets i am on Premarin 0.625,
Any way i have been training for a half marathon for the last god knows how long, i run 6 miles a day at the moment 3 times a week, eat very healthy, and still no weight lose i am 5" and weigh nearly 10 stone,
I used to be 5" and weigh 8.4 stone before my operation,
it is getting me very depressed at the moment, i dont know what else do to do, does anyone else have these problems ??
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:53:41 PM by Nikkih72 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi, Im Nikki
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »

:welcomemm:  have a good look round! 

Could the weight be muscle?  Have you thought of going to your local Gym/Leisure Centre for some advice on exercising ......... getting weighed and measured and a diet plan according to your marathon training?  How are you after running, can you carry on a conversation or are you puffy and sweaty?  A chat with a 'personal trainer' might be the way to go.

Makes me tired thinking about 6 miles at a time  :o  - my mantra is "I'm out of bed, what more do they want?"  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »

Hi Nikki   :welcomemm: from me too.

Personally I would ask for a change in HRT - what have you got to lose? How can the doctor say how your body is affected?

I would go for any of the others which acontain bio-identical estradiol rather than Premarin - which contains horse oestrogens.

After all you will need to be on it for some time so might as well replace the hormone that you produce rather than foreign ones?

If you don't mind doing this I would suggest trying a transdermal one - either patch or gel and see if it makes a difference. These are listed in the green menu on the left under oestrogens:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Here is some info on weight gain and menopause:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

In your case, you have suddenly been plunged into menopause but since you take all that exercise and eat healthily you are doing all the right things.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:01:08 PM »

Welcome from me too.

Sorry to hear about the weight gain. I am just a tad taller than you by about half an inch.
Four years ago I got on the scales at my sister's one Christmas Day. I was 9 stone 10. At that point I thought enough was enough. I am now 8 stone 6.

How did I do it. Well basically I stopped all eating between meals and cut my portion sizes. I have not eaten a biscuit for four years. I try to walk each day....My knees are gubbed so running is out. I have two treats....a glass of wine at weekends and a mini chocolate lollie some evenings. I am now nearly 53 and have been on HRT since I was 49.
I don't think HRT has had anything to do with my weight. It'sa change of metabolism. I was eating the same and the weight just sneaked on.

You have to eat less.....there is no other answer.

Sorry that sounds a bit blunt.....Just how I found things happened with me.

Honeyb
X

Delilah

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:52:36 PM »

Hi Nikki

Just wanted to welcome you and say 'wow', wish I weighed 10 stone.  I've been on hrt for nearly 2 years now and have put on 3 stone, dont think its hrt more likely to be lying on the setee for weeks on end feeling terrible.!!

Sounds like you've had a rough time over the last few years, you've certainly been through the wringer and still sound so positive.

Good luck with the weight loss, I certainly cant give you any tips but as you said you have your health and a lovely family.

Delilah x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »

There is also a UK Charity called 'ovacome' which is how I landed here  ::)

Browse round, join in !