Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Question about Mirena  (Read 3374 times)

TillyD

Question about Mirena
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »

Is there anyone who has the mirena for their HRT?

And who still might have some of their own natural cycle going on?

If so, what happens bleeding wise?

I've just got a mirena and have no idea what will happen. I still had a fairly regular cycle when I started with HRT a year ago. So I don't know whether I'll bleed constantly for 3 to 6 months or if it will go to monthly (ish) bleeds again.

Please can someone give me any idea. I have been told nothing about what to expect

Taz2

Re: Question about Mirena
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »

It depends on each individual person Tilly. Some women find their periods stop altogether and others find they get lighter. The side effects can put some people off -  such as irritability, poor skin etc.  It's really a case of waiting to see how you are affected I think.

Taz x

TillyD

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:23 PM »

I was told it can take months for it to "settle down" but I don't know what that means?   What settles down? Bleeding? Pain? Acne? Greasy hair? Or is it just the pain and bleeding?

Does anyone else know what they mean when they say "settles down "?

I just want to know. I can't stand not knowing what's happening to my body.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:23:20 PM by TillyD »

Cazikins

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »

"Settling down" means that if you get bleeding, pain, acne, greasy hair after having the coil fitted, then after a few months (up to 6), it should ease or even stop altogether.

I suggest you keep a daily diary of your symptoms, this will give you some ammo if you need to do battle with your doctor.

As suggested on you new members thread. If you are not at all happy with the mirena coil then go & get it taken out. you should not be thinking that this is a punishment - it is your choice, so use it.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:00:17 PM »

It's the lack of control that always put me off.

I was offered it for birth control years ago but as I am a bit of a control freak I refused.

If you are not happy then insist it is taken out. On the other hand some women love the Mirena and it has been the best thing for them.

Give it a fair chance to see how you get on.

Honeyb
X

TillyD

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »

So ANY symptoms should go away after a few months then?

I so hope so. I want to be back to normal. I don't feel right at the moment

Firewalker50

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »

Hi Tilly

I had 2 mirena coils fitted for contraception prior to menopause.  I loved it.  For me it was some sporadic bleeding for a few months and then nothing at all.

My friend has one and she bled on and off for about 9 months then it settled.  She likes it too and has no other symptoms.

We both really liked the convenience.

I tried combi HRT which did not suit me and I started periiods/bleeding again.

So, I had a D&C and a mirena fitted at the same time as the progesterone part of the HRT.    No further bleeds or periods.

I am not aware of any problems for me with the mirena.

As Cazi suggested, try it, keep a diary for a few months.  I would suggest you stop worrying about potential issues and looking for them, and just wait to see if there are any.   If it does not suit, then go back and get it taken.  Unless it is extreme, I would give it 6 months and keep your diary.

Good luck.

Fx