Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Citalopram, and very scared.  (Read 29114 times)

Limpy

Re: Citalopram, and very scared.
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »

Honeybun - you've tried and feel rotten.
I don't know whether it would be any easier trying again tonight.......
Whatever, I think you are not alone in not getting on with them.

Really hope you feel better tomorrow

:hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »

How was the actual being sick though?  I had medication 2 years ago which made me ill but it wasn't actually as bad as I feared  ::) ..... but that awful feeling when the gut rejects the medication and then the whole body gets involved  >:(  ....... even if I knew it was going to ease after 2-3 days I was unable to continue with it.  Let us know what the GP suggests.

I am sure too that you will manage more than toast tomorrow but don't worry if not, make sure you drink plenty of fluids and if possible, some soup  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »

The being sick was unpleasant.....Don't care what form it takes.....It's being sick.

It was not even just that. It was the sweating and shaking for most of the day. I have never felt like that after taking any pill.

Had an ice lolly and it was lovely. Had a mouth like the bottom of a bird cage all day.

Honeyb
X

Dyan

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »

Hi honeybun
Just seen this thread and just want to offer my support.
I have never taken citalopram but I've been taking fluoxetine (Prozac) for 9 years for OCD.
I was prescribed Mirtazapine a couple of months ago when I was having terrible anxiety.
My GP didn't want to up my HRT because I am on a high dose and she wanted to sort out the anxiety as that is my worst meno symptom.
After a week on Mirtazapine I started to notice an improvement.
They made me feel calm and gave me a good nights sleep.
In 3 weeks I was feeling really good.
I found that the AD worked instantly on my anxiety.
I take 15mg at night and am feeling normal again.
Have a chat with your GP on other ADs.
Mirtazapine worked for me and it could work for you.
I know we are all different and react differently to medications.

Please keep us informed on how you are doing.
 :bighug: Dyan X

nelliedee

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2013, 06:34:01 AM »

Hope your feeling a little better this morning HB xx

nelliedee

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2013, 07:43:45 AM »

The claire weekes books and the anxietynomore website were far and above the best self help I got after reading and browsing tons of stuff, especially when i was on the floor xxx

honeybun

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 08:04:27 AM »

Thanks,
Loads better this morning. Hard to believe that one pill could do that. Won't be doing that again. I will have a look for the Clair Weekes books for my kindle.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

hi honey bun  least youve experienced taking the tablet now and you know how you felt  my citalopram is still in the cupboard  :(  i know that despite what people tell me that medicines do not agree with me at all i cant even take multi vitamins without feeling sick and getting a bad tummy  i have to continue with my 2 blood pressure meds but even them  i have to drop 1 every other day as my pressure will drop too low my other half says  iam just not normal  :)  any way just a thought for you did you ever try st johns wort ?  i have read quite alot about it and it seems it does work unless you have severe depression  wonder what you think   it is a good feeling though when youve felt rough with a tablet and then stop and feel better least you know why you feel rough for a change x

ann123

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »

HB
I was really sick after taking one tablet, I couldn't stop throwing up and was only drinking water. I felt awful, I couldn't sleep but was really tired. I had to A&E a coupe of days off work, I felt so bad!
I didn't take any more.
3 days after taking one tablet, I got out of bed and got in the car to go collect my daughter. I fell asleep on the A14 and went into the central reservation, I was ok, (woke me up!), but wrecked my car!
I went onto HRT patches, which I am feeling much better on and my moods have improved as well.

littleminnie

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »

What a shame HB that you can't tolerate them. So it's back to the drawing board?
X

pj44

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »

I have had severe anxiety/panic attacks most of my life and have tried all sorts of ADs none of them have ever really helped me.  I did stick with taking the citalopram when I was given them 5 years ago but having taking them for 6 weeks I  had a horrible panic attack that went on for 9 hours and I just thought what's the point in taking them when I am still having horrible panic attacks.  I just struggled on  until one day reading a post on the nomorepanic site someone had recommended Filisa, i'm not sure if I might of mentioned these to you before?  They really have helped me and along with taking the diazepam if I am very stressed over something I am so much better than I ever was and I gratefully for that. 

Joyce

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »

Such a shame you had a horrid reaction HB. I hope your GP will be sympathetic towards you and give you something which is kinder to you. I know my mum had a dreadful time with anxiety. Maybe because I'm on HRT, she wasn't, I will be saved from the horrid symptoms. Of course maybe I am just delaying them, who knows. She was put on Librium, though not sure if it's still prescribed.

Limpy

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »

Have you arranged another GP appointment Honeybun?
Perhaps you could give her a ring rather than actually having to go in

Hope you feel totally right soon

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »

Librium is a drug which can only be prescribed under close supervision as regular blood tests are essential in order to monitor that the patient is maintaining the 'correct' level.  It can work well for people as a last resort.

My GP never understood that 1 tablet could cause such reactions in me.  Even a drug which 'had no known side-effects' made me really weird  ::)  ........... no names no pack drill ........

Glad you are feeling better today.  I am afraid that I read all the Claire Weekes books and couldn't really believe that she had been through what I was experiencing - she made it appear so easy to gain back control.  However, I had my first panic attack at age 3 and she was well through her panics before she wrote the books so she may have had less memory of what actually takes place  :-\

Elena

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »

Just googled Filisa as I'd never heard of it and I've been on every anti depressant under the sun since I was 22.  It appears it is a herbal remedy:

Does it work?
The Sutherlandia plant is rich in the natural inhibitory neuro-transmitter GABA, which relieves depression, anxiety, stress, improves the mood and gives a general sense of wellbeing. Filisa helps with stress, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, SAD, PMT and Menopausal symptoms.
What are the Side Effects?
Filisa can be taken alongside your prescribed medication. It should not be taken during pregnancy or whilst breastfeeding. It is not generally suitable for children under 14. Take 2x200mg capsules twice daily with food, to reduce any risk of nausea or dizziness (these are the only two rare side effects reported among already weakened patients).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5