Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice re. changing HRT please...x  (Read 4933 times)

Liz

Advice re. changing HRT please...x
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:32:18 AM »

Hi ladies (perhaps Hurdity may be here? :))

I was due to change my HRT from FemSeven Sequi patches to Estradot 50 and Utrogestan next week.  I am currently due to start the last phase of the FemSeven today (Oest+Prog) patch and have been on the Oest+Prog patch last week as well.  This is my second month on the FemSeven.  Anyway, I have started a bleed this morning! (So, basically one week early and I still have another Prog patch to use for the following week before starting the Estradot next Wednesday.

My question is...... Should I continue with the Prog phase for the next week or (because I've started a bleed today, a week early) should I start the new regime and put an Oestrogen only patch on? 

The first month I used the FemSeven I bled early whilst still on the Prog phase, but not a whole week early.

Any advice would be helpful.  I will try and ring the GP later but I think she may be away for the rest of the week (and the other GPs are not so "Meno savvy".

Thank you! x

PS.  Just looked at the Patient Information Leaflet for the Estradot online (as I haven't picked them up from the Pharmacy yet) and it says to start the treatment at the end of the phase of the previous HRT, so that means I should use another Prog patch and start next Wednesday as planned.  I suspect my bleed may be a bit disrupted.  During the past 2 months on the FemSeven Sequi, I bled before the end of the Progesterone phase, rather than when I started the Oestrogen patch again.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:41:53 AM by Liz »

Hurdity

Re: Advice re. changing HRT please...x
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:56:20 AM »

Hi Liz

I never experienced this as as was probably nearer to menopause when I started HRT - but I know there will be other women on here who experienced this - ie bleeding at the "wrong" time on cyclical HRT. I think its more likely to occur when peri-menopausal as you are because your own cycle is kicking in.

You are right usually the advice would be to complete one treatment before starting the next, as you need the full amount of progesterone to shed the lining - so I suppose this could mean having a second or prolonged bleed?

The idea of starting HRT on Day 1 of the period is to tie it in with your natural cycle, but of course when peri since this is changing - lengthening or shortening - so that's why you can get early bleeding. So you could say start the new HRT now, - but your cycle might change again next month as you are peri.

Yes I would ring the GP and check this out if you can - but otherwise do as recommended - carry on with the Femseven for the full month and then start the new regime, and see what happens next month.

Good luck and hope your bleed is no worse than expected!

Hurdity  x

Liz

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »

Thanks Hurdity.  I really appreciate your help x.

That's what I was thinking...... I thought I'd better use the complete Progesterone phase.   I think you're right - my own cycle went down to 3 weekly periods (or less) before I started the FemSeven 2 months ago.  One of the reasons I knew I was in peri, along with many others! ;)  The bleed doesn't seem too bad so far, may be a blessing because I'm going away to Devon for a week next weekend so it gets it out of the way now (unless I get another one, of course!).

Thank you, Hurdity. x

Liz

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »

Well, I don't think this is going to be much of a period..... maybe it's just a bit of spotting, breakthrough where my normal cycle period would have been?  Wonder if I'll get another one at the end of the Progesterone patch next week?

Clovie

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:18:12 AM »

Hi Liz *waves*

Can't help but wanted to say I understand.
I too have bled at an unexpected time and have a similar dilemma.
I began the prog phase, using Utrogestan for the first time, on X day, then 3 days later I had a big full on (what was norma) period for me.
I was surprised to get this as I understood finishing a course of prog causes the withdrawal bleed, but this was 3 only days after starting?
Well, I presume now it is my own cycle kicking in  :o :o
Anyway, I didn't know whether to continue with the course of prog as I was already shedding (in a big way TMI, I know ;) ) but I did finish my course yesterday so like you am wondering if I will have another bleed in a few days??

Well, I guess we will both find out soon eh?
Hope you enjoy your trip to Devon. :)  Used to live down there for a while and I still miss it xxx

Liz

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:42:02 AM »

Hi Clovie! :)  Thanks for your reply.  Seems we are in a similar boat!  This bleed is not doing much so I reckon it is just breakthrough from my normal cycle.  Bet I'm going to cop another one next week at the end of the Prog phase.  Hey ho!  Looking forward to trying the Utrogestan though. 

Are you still feeling better?  Hope so.

Yes, I love Devon too.  We are going to stay near Dartmoor.  Looking forward to it. x

Clovie

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »

Hi Liz

Yes, still feeling OK!  :) *crosses fingers*  ;D ;D

Ooh Dartmoor is absolutely beautiful, I'm dead jealous, enjoy! xxxxx

Clovie

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »

Liz, just to say I have tried TWICE to reply to your message  ;D ;D, but think it hasn't sent my replies? Please could you tell me if you by chance have received any of them? 
Thanks! xx

Liz

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »

Yes, Clovie, I have received them and just replied to you.  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »

Yes, I love Devon too.  We are going to stay near Dartmoor.  Looking forward to it. x
Hi again Liz - have a great time where you are staying - I live in Devon!!! We go to Dartmoor now and again. I love the wildness of it and all the rocks and tors and then suddenly the deep wooded river valleys with boulders all covered in moss and lichen

Hurdity x

Clovie

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »

LOL, Dead jealous you live in Devon Hurdity!
I used to live in Devon, LOVED it there, we still miss it! *big sigh*
Which area in Devon are you? (PM me if you'd rather x)
We used to go to Dartmoor a lot - beautifully remote and bleak, even when sunny!  :), love driving through the mist and seeing the prison looming too.... xx

Liz

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »

Hi ladies - we're going to stay not far from Yelverton (Meavy).  Staying in a local cottage that we visited last year too.

PS.  I'm taking off this Progesterone patch!  Can't stand the way it's making me feel and got period anyway.  Just waiting to start my new Estradot patch on Wednesday, or should I put the last FemSeven Oestrogen patch on to carry me through til Wednesday, do you think?? Any advice much appreciated. x