Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Femeston 2/10 - Newbie needing advice doctors tomorrow  (Read 4231 times)

PollyH

Femeston 2/10 - Newbie needing advice doctors tomorrow
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »

Hello everyone - i'm new to the forum. I would like some help deciding which HRT to  go for next. I have been going through the menopause for about nine years since 40. I have had so many ups and downs with HRT and so many bad times. 
 I have been taking Femeston 2/10 on and off for about 2 years and femeston 1/10 before that. When I say on and off, I seem to start off ok , but as time goes on I feel worse. I am supposed to have a bleed on this HRT, but never do and wonder if this is the reason. When i came off it last time the GP suggested taking continuous combined HRT but as they only had Femeston conti in the lower dose (1/5mg I had to go for that - also this is the kinder progestogen which I seem to tolerate better). This was no good I started beeding on the none bleed HRT dose not high enough - so confused. Felt better after bleeding decided to go back  on femeston 2/10 - ok for a while then start to go downhill again - no bleed. I have had all the usual symptoms along the way - hot flushes, thrashing at night, terrible anxiety, panick attacks, feeling like I can't go  out, don't want to socialize, can't cope feelings,feeling detached,been off work you name it.

I have tried the Utogestan once as the progestogen part of the HRT - when I took it at night, I felt like I was gonna pass out (but that was a couple of years ago). Don't really know what to go for next. Please help.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:13:13 PM by PollyH »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Femeston 2/10 - Newbie needing advice doctors tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:21:56 PM »

:welcomemm:  have you read the menu on the left of screen?  You might find info that will help there. 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »

Hi PollyH - welcome from me too!

I am not sure quite what the problem is re the HRT?

Firstly the Femoston 2/10 would normally give a bleed - and I would be surprised if that dose of oestrogen did not stimulate the womb lining sufficiently on a monthly cycle, to give a bleed. However we are all different so maybe it just wasn't enough for a bleed for you.

Provided your womb lining hasn't thickened, there isn't anything wrong with not having a bleed. if you are definitely post-menopausal this does happen - although usually on lower doses. I did not get a bleed when I was on a monthly cycle (different HRT) when I became well post-meno.

In what way did the Femoston make you feel bad after a 2 years? Did it not deal with the flushes and weats? You would still expect to get the usual pms symtpoms though even if you don't bleed - because often these are caused either by the progesterone itself (if you are progesterone intolerant) or withdrawal from it - ie you get the headache, anxiety, tension etc a few days after coming offf the combined ones, until it settles again.

If you keep stopping and starting this isn't the best thing for your system - you need to give each one 3 months to settle but I am sure you know this.

The thing is you would be very lucky indeed not to have any symptoms. Many of us prefer to put up with the pms symptoms - while taking HRT - than the dreadful menopause symptoms we experience otherwise.

Re the progesterone - it sounds like you can tolerate the Femoston well, so even if you are post-meno then why not continue with the 2/10? You can always ask the doctor to refer you for an ultra-sound scan if you are worried about the no bleed. If you don't get on with Utrogestan then I can;t suggest anything lese except for a vaginal preparation eg Cycolgest pessaries ( not licensed for HRT but can be prescribed). Did you feel like you were going to pass out in the morning after taking it? You can take Utrogestan at a lower dose ( 100 mg) on a continuous basis with separate oestrogen so maybe you might want to try that if the Femoston doesn't suit you any more.

Hope this helps

Hurdity  x

ellie66

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »

How did you get on at the doctors? I am Femston 2/10 I have had no bleed this month either but I feel very hormonal. I have been on it about 3 years. It suits me well so I suspect its my own hormones kicking in this month??

PollyH

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »

Hi All

Thanks so much for the replies. I am going to the docs at 4.20pm today.

Hi CLKD - thanks for the advice - but I have read them so many times they start to confuse me especially when i can't think straight !
 Hi ellie66 - I too feel hormonal on the Femeston 2/10, when taking the progestogen, I feel as if a need to have a bleed (because this is a bleed HRT) but it never happens.
Hi Hurdity
I have read so many of your threads and you are so knowledgeable. Ref to the Femeston as said above I feel like I need a bleed but don't have one and it feels as though it builds up and gets worse each month.I was starting to get hot flushes a bit again, so maybe I need a higher dose. Should I try patches as I think if this is right you don't need as high a dose. At the moment I have been given continuous Climesse 2mg with 0.7mg Norethisterone and I have been on it for two weeks and feel crap. Anxiety, jitters can't sleep can't think straight, period pains.

Ref to the Utrogestan - this was about two years ago and I took it at night and felt really dizzy and faint and so tired the next day.

What type of progestogen is the Cyclogest - is it testosterone based or does it not matter if it is taken vaginally. I think I read that utorgestan can be taken vaginally is this true ?

I'm not in work this week and feel so guilty. Just want to get on with my life like all you wonderful ladies. Thanks so much for the help - will keep you posted.

PollyH

xxx

ellie66

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »

Good luck Polly  :) Will be very interested to here what your GP says we seem to have the same issue. Yes I too feel desperate for a bleed I feel so hormonal its untrue. However am reluctant to change my HRT as generally it does suit me well.

I am very fortunate in that my GP is also a colleague/friend. Long story but for complicated reasons he is the best person to be my GP and he kindly agreed. We had to get it all signed my medical defense lawyers!  :) So his view is he will never pester me so long as I understand the risk re any treatment he is happy. I am so, so luckily as could very easily change HRT without any hassles. I am just generally horrified by some of the stories of unsupportive GP's on this forum, very scary  :(

PollyH

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »

Hi ellie66

Thanks for the reply

Been to the docs. He is very kind and very patient but even he has no real answers except to eliminate things. I was talking to him about the femeston 2/10 and about feeling that I need a bleed but that it never happens - he doubled checked my hormone results from about a year ago and they are definately post menopause. I then asked the question that if you are post menopause and you take a cyclical HRT would you still have a monthly bleed and the answer was yes. he also said doctors prefer you to be on continuous HRT when post menopause so that if you do bleed it can be investigated if you know what I mean (confusing).But I struggle on the progestogen part as it has to be taken all the time. He then asked if I have had an ultra sound scan at all and I haven't. So that is the next thing to check for any build up in the womb lining. He advised me to go back on femeston 2/10 until we have the results from this and then maybe I will try a higher dose of oestrogen and may try Utrogestan again.
Hope this makes sense

PollyH

XX

ellie66

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »

Thanks Polly yes that makes perfect sense. In my case I am definitely peri menopausal so I think this month its a case of my own homes kicking in. It feels like a very case of PMT  :(  I dread to think what my period will be like when it actually happens. I will let you know what happens.

ellie66

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »

Phew period just started so it is my own hormones kicking in. I wonder if it will be heavy like last time?  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »

Hi PollyH

Your feelings each month on Femoston ie that you feel like you are building up to a period are most likely due to the progestogen ie as I said before normal pms symptoms. It doesn;t mean that your lining has built up and you need to bleed.

Theoretically on cyclical HRT you do get a bleed but if you're post-meno it may not happen if the oestrogen dose isn't high enough to stimulate the lining. The scan will tell you whether it is building up - if so you would probably need a higher progestogen dose.

Cyclogest is progesterone ie the bio-identical one like Utrogestan.  Not one of the synthetic or androgenic ones you were referring to. It is in a waxy capsule and can be used as pessary or suppository. I eventually found the dose too high but I did use it for about 4 years. It isn't licensed for HRT.

Yes unfortunately continuous progestogens can have that effect ( anxiety, jittery etc) on some women and norethisterone particuarly can affect some women adversely.

I understand what the doc is saying but it is still possible to be on cyclical HRT if post-meno - several of us are - you just have to keep an eye out for abnormal bleeding and if possible have regular scans.

Hope you feel better again on the Femoston!

Hurdity x