Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Disintegrating  (Read 9915 times)

Victoria

Re: Disintegrating
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »

i agree with Milliemoo. i too have suffered with debilitating depression. At the end of the day it is only you who can get yourself out of it. I have been on antidepressants for some 14 years after initially suffering from Post Natal Depression. My GP at the time told me to keep taking these as "20th Century Medicine" was better than any herbal remedy i.e. St John's Wort. i realise now however that my depression was caused by hormone fluctuation. Over the last 8 years or so I have been fobbed off by my GP surgery - they all said I was too young for the menopause despite me telling them that my mum's periods stopped when she was 41. i am now 46 and haven't had a period since March. Thanks to this forum I have seen a new GP and (at my request) he has given me Femseven Sequi. Only on 2nd week so too early to tell -just wish they would stick better. I honestly believe that a lot of women's mental health poblems are due to heir hormones.

Victoria

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »

* their * hormones.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »

Thanks for sharing Victoria.  Post Natal Depression is certainly hormonally based.  If the ADs helped you get through those years, then be blessed for that at least  - that was then, you need to deal with the 'now'.  Often GPs tell us we are too young for menopause  ::) but we know our bodies the best!  Let us know how you get on!

Winterose

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »

CLKD please dont think I was not taking depression seriously . However I felt that Monsterfromids misery was probably not clinical depression and more likely or not menopausal hormones combined with that phase of life we go through when our children grow up and everything has to be reassessed.. I felt that if she had clinical depression it would likely be historic and she wouldnt be seeking help on a menopause forum in which case just appreciating little things might just be a step in the right direction.  My own feelings are we dont stop enough just to  appreciate a lovely hot shower , a great cup of coffee , clean sheets etc etc.  A good chat with Dr Currie will hopefully be first step and very much hope that some form of HRT may help, :D ( as well as all the lovely support on here)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

Oh Winterose - how often do I suggest that people take 'time to smell the roses'  ;)

Organic depression stems from the brain not getting enough serotonin.  Many 'experts' do not recognise organic depression.  This can be lifted by long-term use of anti-depressant medication.
Clinical depression is caused by people being unable to alter their life situation.  Getting stuck in a rut which they would like to alter or move from but being unable to put steps into place.
I have both.  Fortunately most medication has helped. 

Add to that anxiety  ::) and hormones.  All can compound any misery the person is going through, being it children leaving home, a job change, not being understood .........

"friends who have some sort of work are so much happier and positive ... "  this is different from a person *suffering* depression that goes on and on and .......... I was unable to work whilst depressed .......

monsterfromid

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 08:39:39 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm afraid my depression is 'historic'. I've been having episodes since 1994. I think what's happening now is a collision between meno symptoms (including the psychological readjustment) and severe, clinical depression.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »

:hug:  how do you feel though?  More in control?

monsterfromid

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 08:21:09 AM »

Not really, no.

grumpyandIknowit

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 09:21:11 AM »

Oh - Just read your posts. Big Hug coming your way......... :hug:
Just to say that I know how you feel, I had PND (34 years ago) and was an absolute walking mess, Dr put me on Lentizol then and to say I felt as though someone else was trapped inside my body was an understatement, I decided to take myself off it and went cold turkey and eventually managed okay, however since then I have found that the anxiety, panic attacks and all round fear have been the worst sympton of the Mad Menno, compounded by the fact that I dont eat when I'm anxious and go completely off food so ergo I lose weight and go down a dress size and then worry that I've got soemthing really wrong with me although I know for me thats usual!
Anyway, I'm sure you'll get loads of help or a huge amount of MORAL SUPPORT on here, not to say hugs
XX

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »

It can be a long haul  :-\  ....... I can totally relate to the not eating - once my anxiety hits my gut I can't put anything by my lips, then my brain gets into the 'you must eat' scenario - add to that people around telling me 'you must eat'  >:( .........

Does your support 'team' still visit daily Monsterfromid?

monsterfromid

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »

My mood's improved slightly (although I've just had a terrible night with migraine, nausea, shaking and crying) so I'm no longer under the care of the Emergency Team. I am still being seen by psychiatric services once a week. Thanks to everyone for all the kind comments.  x

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »

Keep with as much support as you can get!  Even if 'they' feel you are improving, don't let them throw you to your own devices too soon!

Little steps ....... don't plan too far ahead.  Don't say 'yes' too often ........... keep posting!

Suzi Q

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »

I know I've posted on here a couple of times regarding the bout of depression and anxiety I'm going through. I'm slowly beginning to recover but I'm haunted by the feeling that my life is over, that I haven't achieved my goals, that anything I have achieved is miniscule and pathetic, that the future will be a nightmare of ageing, loneliness, ( I obsess about my partner dying before me) invisibility and increased debility. I'm horrified by what's happening to my face and body and wonder if I'll ever have sex again. I feel so ugly and undesirable and I'm only 47! Is this a phase I have to break through before coming out of the other side?

Your not Billy No Mates though I have to say this is only started with me in the last say 2 years im 59 today yayyy
Yuor life isnt over its just entering that interesting stage
If it wasnt for meno you could have kids you could!
Right go get your hair changed I beleive that short hair is less aging go burgandy make it look a dye NOT blonde it suck light not black it does the same I went Bright pollar box red at 47 cut short very Mia Farrow 1966
Change your clothes style be a bit quirky dont be scared to walk in to boutiques for 20 somehtings
Buy new make up new stuff for the mush dont go ORANGE its all dead normal weve all been there as millions behind us
Make yourself look as good as you can Im a firm beleiver in look good feel good hence the stuff they do in cancer wards for women Dont thin its selfish or not worth it just look at pictures and do it If your overweight dont dieyt
Do the swap thats  just swaping your dinn er plate fir a side plate eat less diets never work but the swap does
Your not Billy NO mates I promise IM 59 and I keep thiing the same thoughts as you then i say PLUCK and go ot
Spend money i aint got sod it as long as the bills are paid who cares xxxxxxxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »

:thankyou:  Suzi!

Clovie

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »

LOVING your style Suzie, great post!!!  :banana:
Could you please be my personal life coach  ;D - I could do with someone like you with your attitude in my corner!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3