Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sleeping!  (Read 3636 times)

catdude

Sleeping!
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:05:43 AM »

Anyone else find they can sleep 12 hours at a time and still not wake up refreshed? I've had my thyroid checked, I am busy but really no more than usual or that any of my friends and yet I literally can't get enough sleep. I'm 50 and still in peri-menopause with periods that are more frequent / heavier than they used to be so I suppose I could possibly be anaemic?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sleeping!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »

Currently I could sleep for England  ::) - often my body feels OK but my brain wants another few hours asleep!  I have slept better for about 12 months although dreaming makes me feel tired - very busy, involved, long 'stories'  ::)  ....... do you dream?

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »

I wish. Lucky if I get 4/5 hours sleep. Though I've started nytol to see if it helps.

Sounds like you are not having a deep enough sleep, maybe tossing/turning even if you're not aware of it.

Oh the joys of this stage in our lives.

JeanneA

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »

I take amitriptyline each night otherwise I wouldn't get any sleep. It also seems to make me feel brighter during the day, well until I get very tired in the afternoons.  :(

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »

Re sleep - I seem wake tired in the morning but I go to bed late-ish around 11.30 - midnight - but even if I go earlier I still wake tired ie find it difficult to wake up. Maybe to do with menopause or age? I am post-meno. I had all my everything tested last Oct - thyroid, iron vit levels etc and all normal. We even got a CO detector thinking the chimney might be leaking into the bedroom in the winter - but of course we have days without the stove now and still wake tired. I'm alright when I get going after my two mugs of tea. I don't take any sleep meds nor would I and I am on HRT so I presume it's just an age thing. Annoying but it doesn't stop me being active and busy with (part-time) work and stuff.

catdude - if you are having heavier and more frequent periods then you may well be a bit anaemic - depending what your diet is like.

When I remember ( but less often now as I don't bleed much) I take a liquid herbal iron supplement that is gentle on the stomach and take much less than the rec dose just to boost iron as I have a healthy mixed, fresh diet. It's called Floradix and I recommend it. Don't wait for tests - a small amount extra cannot do you any harm even if you are more or less OK with iron.

Hurdity x

Evenstar

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »

I seem to have periods of either sleeping like the dead or nor being able to sleep at all. Not helped by my 8 year old who often wakes me in the night. Yawn...
      I do have some fab sleeping tablets bought over the counter in the US though. They are great when I am in a sleepless patch. No side effects in the morning :)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »

I've never slept for twelve hours - even when I'm really tired. I have tried, oh how I have tried, over the years but five hours is my limit. I can see how it used to drive my mum and dad mad when I was little.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »

When I get into bed usually around 11:30 there seems to be a window of opportunity to get to sleep. If my mind is busy and I miss it it can take me hours to fall off. I still wake early no matter what time I go to sleep. I used to be able to get back off but now I get up and go to the loo and that's it....I am wide awake.

I never really feel rested when I weaken up. I am usually too stiff and by the time I feel better there is no chance of anymore sleep.

They do say you need less sleep as you get older so maybe it's just another lovely part of the aging process.

Honeyb
X

catdude

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »

Thanks for all the responses!

CKLD - yes I di dream very vividly and always have done and  do find that can be quite tiring in itself!