Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Do I need Vagifem or not?  (Read 3537 times)

Jessiepup

Do I need Vagifem or not?
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »

Hi , I am new to this site and am after some opinions.
I have been using Vagifem pessaries (10mg) for a couple of months for sore/burning vulva and uti,s.
It seems to be working, however I ad my appointment at the GU clinic and he took a swab to look at. He said everything looked normal and that there was plenty of Oestrogen so I don't actually need to use the Vagifem.(he said the vagifem hadn't had time to make a difference if I was deficient )

So I didn't use it for a couple of weeks and the symptoms have now returned, has anyone else had this experience? Don't know what to do know.

I am only 42 but my Mum and Nan were both in their 40's when it started . My periods are 25 days now but regular(used to be 29)

Rosebush

Re: Do I need Vagifem or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:40:05 PM »

Jessie I would go back to see your GP and explain the burning as returned, if Vagifem cured the condition surely he will let you start using it again..xx

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »

Jessiepup,
You tried Vagifem and it worked, you stopped and problems come back.
Sounds like a no brainer to me.
Go and see your GP and get more vagifem.

I am on HRT patches, but occasionally I need to use gynest cream externally to deal with UTIs and burning,
otherwise they come back.

Welcome to MM by the way!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »

Hi Jessiepup

:welcomemm: from me too!

I agree with Limpy - how the doc can say this - duh!

He knows nothing! Of course it looked normal and there was plenty of oestrogen - er - you had been using it for 2 months - and the first time you use it you do a loading period of 2 weeks intensive use (I presume you did this?) and it would definitely show a difference after 2 months!!

Like Limpy - I am on patches, and I use Vagifem all the time as well and also occasionally use the Gynest cream externally ( but I am post-meno).

Hurdity x

Jessiepup

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »

I have made an appointment with GP , and started using it again.
The trouble is, doctors keep saying at 42 I shouldn't be menopausall, am I that unusual?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »

Hey Jessiepup - glad you've started using it again and hope it does the trick like it did before!

Re menopause - it's all about the symptoms.

Here is what is says on this very site about menopause:

The average age of the natural menopause is 51 years, but can occur much earlier or later. Menopause occurring before the age of 45 is called early menopause and before the age of 40 is premature menopause.

Generally, women having an early or premature menopause are advised to take HRT until approximately the average age of the menopause, for both symptom control and bone protective effect.

Late menopause may also occur but by the age of 54, 80% of women will have stopped having periods.

The doctors should know better than to express surprise that some women are menopausal earlier and some later than the average age - which is just what it is - an average. There are a lot of women on here who have early and even premature menopause. Also the peri-menopause ( the time leading up till the last period) can last up to 10 years in some women so that means symptoms could start at your age but in an extreme case you might not reach menopause until 52!

The important thing is that if you have symptoms of oestrogen deficiency then they should be treated with oestrogen. You may need to take extra oestrogen in the form of HRT if other symptoms begin to show as this will protect your bones and general health at least until you reach the average age.

Hurdity x

Jessiepup

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »

Thanks for your comments, I don't feel as worried about it now, just need to listen to my body I guess

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:32:47 AM »

Jessiepup - glad you've started vagifem again, hope it works soon.

If the GP starts saying you are too young to be menopausal, point out you Mum and Nan started in their 40's.
As Hurdity says, it's all about the symtoms.