Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Joint pain supplements  (Read 2699 times)

CJ-sleepless

Joint pain supplements
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »

I'm finding that I have assorted joint aches and pains (aside from the posterior).  I know there are many supplements that are recommended but I have a problem - I'm allergic to fish - all fish and shellfish - carry an epipen - though have to say it's not really such an issue, pretty easy to avoid, unlike nuts etc.  Anyone know of any good things to try that don't involve fish?  I take a vegetarian omega 3 already to make up for fish being absent from my diet.  I wonder if there's an alternative to glucosamine etc that anyone is aware of?

Jenna

Re: Joint pain supplements
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »

You can buy glucosamine sourced from corn from Healthspan. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »

How interesting though quite a nuisance!  My Mum can't eat shellfish, she develops breast lumps !

I think a chat with a Pharmacist is in order - then let us know?  ;)  Is it the coating that is fish-based or within the product make up?

bramble

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »

I have had joint pains for the last 30 odd years. Over time I have tried just about every pill and potion on the market to no avail! Even tried Reiki and regular massages. What I do find that helps is looking at what I eat - very little dairy, no salt, no bacon, pork, Chinese food, tomatoes etc. Basically so salt or acids. This is from advice given to me by Jan De Vries, a well known homeopath. It may help you - it may not, but worth a try if the joint pain is really bad. And all supplemented occasionally by paracetemol. And when the pain in my hands is really bad I use a muscle rub with eucalyptus and black pepper.
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 02:29:36 PM »

I'm not into alternatives but value Jan de Vries, he talked a lot on the Jimmy Young Show all those years ago and seemed knowledgeable without being pushy!

It is important to use the pain relief that is appropriate to the condition too - so checking on the box what each drug is designed to do will help!

justaboutcoping

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »

After two hip operations my orthopaedic consultant told me to take a high dose of vitamin D pill daily x
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:25:21 PM by justaboutcoping »

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:15:20 AM »

That is so weird I was just reading about Jan De Vries last night - apparently he works miracles with folk with coccyx problems!  I'll have a look for the corn glucosamine didn't know that existed, thanks