Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: withdrawel symptoms?  (Read 3674 times)

pixigirl

withdrawel symptoms?
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »

Hi there,
 have taken myself of hrt and so far i dont feel to bad at all. Night sweats are the worst thing. But, i have a constant sick headache that painkillers dont shift. Has anyone else experienced this or have i got a bug?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: withdrawel symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »

Probably a hormone imbalance.  Did you have headaches when you were bleeding regularly?  Are you drinking enough, being dehydrated can cause headaches as can withdrawal from pain relief. If it ain't one thing it's another  >:(  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »

I did this a few years back, completely cold turkey. OK initially but was miserable within a couple of weeks. After 8 months I felt truly awful and GP put me back on it.

Some people suffer with migraines. Could be your body has gone into "shock" coming off HRT and the headaches are a result.

pixigirl

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »

Hi, thanks for your replies. I kind of guesed it is withdrawl. I have been on hrt for 9 years so am expecting things to be a bit tough. My doc said that to go cold turkey was the way to go and get it out of the way. He did say that if it gets to bad to pop a patch on to help out. He is leaving it up to me but strongly advised coming off as i have had a few probs, eg bleeds. I have had a hystroscopy and although waiting for biopsy results everything looks ok. Its the hrt causing more probs than it is solving.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »

How long ago did you stop HRT?

I often get these (migraines) soon after stopping the progesterone part of the HRT - and they last for 3 days - not a banging head but nauseous and always there, but then cleared completely. If it is longer than a few days since stopping then not sure. When I stopped HRT completely for 3 months about 2 and a half years ago I didn't get headaches from oestrogen depletion but the other symptoms  came back - sweats and flushes, as well as pelvic pain and bladder stuff. We're all different though so maybe this is how you are reacting.

I don't think cold turkey is the best way at all because the symptoms come back suddenly rather than gradually ( if they are going to) and your body hasn't had time to get used to them.

Hopefully you will feel better soon and maybe want to return on it if your results are OK?

Hurdity  x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »

I agree with Hurdity that cold turkey, especially after nine years, is not the way to do it. The meno clinic I attended suggested taking a year to come off my HRT with a gradual reduction as I had been on it for five years which was considered too long to just stop it.

Taz x  :hug:

pixigirl

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »

Hi  Girls,
Well its been 3 weeks off the hrt and i now feel awful. Headaches, sickness, moody, down,weepy eyc. Have decided to try it gradualy as you all advised. Maybe half a patch per week or something like that. Will keep you posted as to how i get on. :'(

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »

I have come off Kliofem as from Saturday, only 3 days in so far and feel totally crap.  Headache, shivery and generally rubbish.  I cant seem to find anything to suit me. Stellajane it would be great to have done with all this.
Alison