Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giving up!!  (Read 11446 times)

Georgiegirl52

Giving up!!
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »

I think Im now on my 4th  lot tablets.  This time Kliofem 2 mg continuous.  Into 2nd month and been bleeding for the last 2 weeks.  Im thinking of going back on Elleste Duet  and having a monthly cycle, at least I know where I am that way.  Im getting to the point where the hot flushes and sleepless nights will be a better option. 
Is this normal on these tablets.
Trying to get a docs appointment to discuss more options....aaarrrggghhhhh!!

honeybun

Re: Giving up!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »

It took me about 6 months to settle on a conti HRT. If it suits you in every other way then it might be worth sticking with it.

It's not unusual to have bleeds for a while. Now I have settled I would not change back to monthly bleeds.

Honeyb
X

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »

Thanks for the 'hopeful' reply.  Im into my 2nd month of the Kliofem but had 3 months on Kliovance before which didnt suit me either....so does that make 5 months so far??  I do hope so...can I ask did you get stomach ache/pains too aswell as the bleeding?

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »

Yes a few days of cramping then nothing and then more cramps and some spotting. It went on for a long time but my GP encouraged me to stick with it in the hope it would settle which it did.
It was never a full blown period and a panty liner did the job.

I am on evoril conti patches.

Honeyb
X

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »

Have an appointment this afternoon and typically the bleeding seems to have slowed after 2 weeks of getting heavier.  Now should I still go to the appointment or hold off.  Its taken a few days to get one!!

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »

Go, describe what's been happening

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »

Hey there Georgie girl.....

Sorry to hear about the bleeding

I was just wondering how old you are and where you are in meno as you seem to have changed from sequi to conti? Are you definitely post-meno? Also I am puzzled as to why you went onto the Klio type from Elleste as they are almost exactly the same - ie estradiol and norethisterone so if Elleste didn't suit you it would have made sense to try something completely different.
When you say Kliovance didn't suit you - in what way? Was it the bleeding or just that it didn't deal with the flushes?

Hope you don't mind all the questions but just wondering.

Do tell us how you got on with the doc anyway. Maybe there is another reason for the bleeding in your case?

Don't give up yet!!

Hurdity x

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 07:05:24 AM »

Hi Hurdity,
I was still having periods before I went on the conti, the Elleste didnt seem to be controlling the hot flushes any more.  Everything else I have tried so far I had breakthrough bleeding.  Im sure the lastone I took (maybe the Kliovance) caused sever stomach pain so stopped immediately.  Had a break then onto the Kliofem.
The doctor has ordered a pelvic scan for me.  However last night had a large sudden bleed which made me feel quite poorly.  This morning Iam having to call the doctor again to tell her.
Sorry Im a bit vague on the tablets but Im losing track!!! :-\
Alison

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 08:06:23 AM »

Hi again Georgiegirl

Sounds like you are having a bit of a rough time and good to be checked out.

I should have been a bit clearer re the periods. What I meant was what were your periods like before you started HRT at all? The Elleste Duet would have given you  a bleed anyway but it's not a natural period if you see what I mean- it's due to the HRT.

Were you still having natural periods before starting HRT and what had they been like up until then? Had you been without one for a year, and how old are you? If you were still having them were they particuarly heavy and how often were they?

If you hadn't been without one for a year then you are not post-meno and should have stayed on cyclical HRT because otherwise you can get breakthrough bleeding due to hormonal fluctuations. When you are post-meno your hormones are stable and bleeding is less likely unless medical reasons eg polyps or fibroids.

It may be you would be better on a patch or gel perhaps or maybe a different type of tablet eg Femoston.

Hope the scan goes well.

Hurdity x

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »

Hi again,
I was fine on the Elleste with the bleed monthly, apart from the fact that the hot flushes/night sweats were getting so bad.  GP suggested a change.  Went onto a stronger one 2mg, didnt seem to agree with me.  So then tried the conti.
To be honest I cant remember the last time I had a natural period, all been forced due to pills, but they were not too bad.
I am 54.
Thanks for your help & advice.
Alison

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »

Have had an awful few days....huge bleed/flooding on Thursday night, this did slow but felt so bad I called the out of hours service. Hot, cold, shivering feeling faint. They managed to reassure until the morning when I would phone the surgery.   Managed to miss talking to the gp who said she would call back later.    Later in the day, popped into work.  The bleeding had all but stopped by then.  Still no call from gp but heard from the hospital who have me booked in for scan on this Friday coming.  Managed the rest of the day but still feeling poorly. 
Saturday morning the same...got up heavy bleed/flooding. Tried to call gp but went to out of hours service again, and just told the same. This managed to slow right down and managed to continue the day.  I have a constant niggling twinge in my tummy most of the time and just dont know if or when this will happen again.
Getting really fed up.....oh and I have stopped taking the Kliofem.

Anyone else had similar experience, your opinions & advise most welcome.

Alison.  :(

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »

Hi Georgiegirl - I had constant bleeding on Kliofem so changed back to a sequi HRT so that I at least knew when to expect the period. The flooding when you get up is to be expected because you have been lying flat for a number of hours and when you stand up the blood then rushes out. That doesn't mean it is any less uncomfortable but the fact that it then slows for the rest of the day is reassuring. How huge was the bleed if you don't mind me asking and did you have any clots?

You may find that now you have stopped the kliofem the bleed will get heavier as you have withdrawn the progesterone and this is what usually triggers a bleed. That's how I understand it anyway and what has happened to me in the past.

Taz x

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 12:08:59 PM »

Hi Taz, thanks for replying. The first month on Kliofem was fine then it started to go wrong.The first time I hadnt been lying but sitting down for half an hour.  On both occassions I was asked this question by the out of hours service who use mugs to determinre the size of the bleed and I imagine the bleeds would have prob filled at least one.  Cant say I noticed any huge clots though.
Im expecting the worst now I have stopped the tablets but am looking forward to having something which will provide a monthly bleed again.  Has to be better than this.
Thanks for your time.
Alison

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »

It's really frightening when this sort of thing happens - it's like it will never stop! Do you use tampons plus towels so that you can at least still go out and about without leaking everywhere? It can feel very isolating during a heavy bleed. I find the night time towels plus super plus tampons would give me around an hour before needing to change. Luckily my journey to work is really quick but I can't imagine how women who have to travel a fair distance to work, especially by train, cope.

Hope you feel better soon.

Taz  x

Georgiegirl52

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

Yes Im using super plus tampax plus a towel.  Never had so much protection!!
Just about to go out the house again!!! :-\
Thanks Taz. x
Pages: [1] 2