Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: yet another symptom ?  (Read 17258 times)

cox1058

yet another symptom ?
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »

Has anyone else experienced strange smells? I intermittently can smell what is reminiscent of a bonfire smell...... no hard and fast rule but tend to notice it in the evening when I sit to relax after tea. Nobody else can smell it but I sometimes find it so intense I go and spray perfume on my clothes to mask it....

honeybun

Re: yet another symptom ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »

I think you should mention this to your doctor. Can't remember where I read this but it's something that should be investigated.

It's probably nothing but best to be sure.

Honeyb
X

cox1058

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »

Ive read myself that it could be brain tumour, sinus or anxiety related .....wondered if anyone else had experienced it

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »

If they have I am sure they will post when they see your topic.

Best to ask your GP about though.

Probably your sinuses.

Honeyb
X

meno lesley

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »

Hi

During my two pregnancies I became obsessed about strange smells that noone else could smell and mysteriously disappeared when the babies were born. Hormones?

Lesley

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »

I think this should be discussed with your GP. It's probably nothing serious but you can't take the risk. Is it always at the same time of day? http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phantosmia/AN01684

Taz  x

cox1058

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »

Well I mainly notice it after dinner in the evenings when I just sit watching tv - today I dont have it at all.......

catdude

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:01:07 AM »

Interesting article Taz. I knew about the brain tumour one but I often smell things others don't and I see temporal Lobe Epilepsy is mentioned which I was "diagnosed" with some years back. Strange as the olfactory part of the brain isn't in the temporal lobe but would explain why I drive my husband nuts with 'can you smell x y or z ' and he can't!

cox1058

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 09:18:13 AM »

Interesting in the article Taz that it mentions a head injury.  I get a 'strange' sensation on my left forehead - I fell over about 8/9 years ago, had both hands in my pocket and hit my head on the pavement.  It resulted in a cut on my brow bone which fortunately was butterfly stitched, but left my eye and the entire left side of my face very swollen and bruised for several weeks.  Whenever I mention the headaches, the doctor says it is a knock-on effect of the anxiety or could be result of nerve damage after that incident.  To be honest, I have had so many weird headaches and pains since I was early 20 (now 48), that I think if it was anything serious, I would have been long gone.  I also note the mention of sinusitis.  I am also thinking that I notice the burning smell more when I have this head sensation - guess there could be a few explanations, but it only lasts a short time and if I put perfume or something on, I forget about it or don't notice it anyway.  My husband is convinced that all my symptoms are because I worry - if I don't have anything to worry about, I worry.  I was as bad as this in my 20's but after a few years, everything went back to normal and I lived a 'normal' life.  This has all started happening over the past couple of years since I was diagnosed as perimenopausal, so I am assuming that it's all linked.  Just hope I hurry up and metamorphosise into whatever I am 'changing' into - at least when that is all done and dusted, if the symptoms are still there, then I know I perhaps have some other underlying condition.

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »

Its highly likely that it is connected to the sinus cavities, I have had it a few times mine was like a sudden sharp ammonia smell others experience a burning smell,, it is very common.

If it was serious you would be getting other symptoms too. Its always worth checking with your GP.

My OH had a brain tumour and never experienced this.

cox1058

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »

Thank you - though sorry to hear your other half had a tumour. Strange you mention ammonia - when I last had an awful cold/flu, I got terrible ammonia smell, especially if I was anywhere near tomato sauce!! Aren't we odd lol?

Smokey

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:56:06 PM »

I have had the weired smells too, I googled it and it says it's hormone change, mine was like after a candle is blown out or after a match being stuck.
I think if we all got together and made a list of everyone's weired symptoms it would be very long and when it's something strange we worry we're the only ones experiencing it.

angelindskiexx

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »

I smell smoke when others don't.  I've had this for the last two years - strangely enough my hubby can smell smoke too at times,  but we never smell it at the same time!  That's pretty weird  ::)   

fiorinda

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »

Reading this thread has reminded me that I have occasionally smelt something odd, usually after sneezing, that I don't think came from anything actually present - I always assumed it was something to do with whatever the sneeze had done to the inside of my nose. I don't think I've experienced it in quite some time. I used to worry that it was what the world actually smelled like, and the sneeze had just cleared my nose to smell the real world for a short time, or even what the inside of my nose actually smelled like - if that makes any sense at all! I can only liken the smell to a herbal drink called Aqua Libra which I used to sometimes buy, and once saw referred to as smelling like a 'cross between melon and postman's socks'!  ;D