Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy  (Read 13280 times)

Rosebush

Hysteroscopy
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone recently had hysteroscopy/biopsy without sedation, had one booked for tomorrow, but cancelled cannot face it at the moment, re booked for July 1st..had external & internal scan last week for unexplained bleeds in March & April, both scans we okay but womb linning was 5.3 should be 5 so thay wanted to do hysto & biopsy just as a final check, the internal scan was quite painful as i have a very small cervix :-\ the gyno said just take a good painkiller 1 hr before procedure to help with pain, but it will be quick..i have a broken foot at the moment after a fall last week, and cannot face any more pain just yet..so wondered what your experience was of the above..

Had same op 3yrs ago, plus D&C with GA but made me soooo sick for 5days, have been on HRT for 3.5yrs and will be 64 in August..xxx

KatieLiz

Re: Hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »

Yes I have and I'm glad I did.  The other patients in that day who opted for a general had to be in for their appointment much earlier and when I saw them afterwards in the waiting room they looked really poorly with the effects of the anaesthetic.

I found it a bit like having a smear, uncomfortable but not painful.  Good advice to take pain relief first though just in case - something with codeine or similar in it for extra relaxation!

I had a small bleed afterwards but felt well enough to pop into the travel agents to book a holiday before I went home!

Hope all goes well x

Hannah1

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:33:24 PM »

I had this done too Rosebush - it wasn't that bad at all.  You will probably feel it a bit when they actually take the biopsies - it is only momentary - a matter of a few seconds for each biopsy.  The rest is like KatieLiz said - just about the same discomfort as a smear.  Good idea to take some painkillers beforehand - no-one told me that.  It is nothing to be scared of though so good luck.

Hannah

Rosebush

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »

Thanks Ladies  i just cannot take GA...keep telling myself it will be quick..can you remember how long your procedure took..Smear tests are painful for me but i was also told to ask for a small speculum.. ??? x

Hannah1

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »

Hi Rosebush

I think it was about 20 mins from memory.  There was a nurse in there with me and she talked to me all the time which takes your mind off the procedure.  I have heard others say that you can have some local anaesthetic 'down there' but I never got offered anything.  Maybe that would be worth mentioning if you feel it may be too much.

Keep us posted.

Hannah

KatieLiz

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:52:45 AM »

I can't quite remember how long mine took but I do remember the nurse with me as well - she kept me talking the whole time which took my mind off the procedure.

joyce21

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »

Hi Rosebush
I had this done a few years ago, mainly because I have a phobia about being put to sleep, it was brilliant, in and out within 30 mins, whereas the ladies who were having a GA were in for at least 4 hours.
The only pain I felt was when the doctor has to go back in, and apparently because of the gas they use, it can cause some kind of vaccum. The pain then thought only feels like period pain, nothing worse than that. I found it really interesting, he turned the screen so I could watch, and he showed me the opening to my fallopin tubes, and my scar from my c.section.
I had a little spotting afterwards, but that was all.

Joyce x

charliegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 06:34:50 PM »

I think it depends on you pain threshold, mine is low and she had to abandon it and do it under GA, however everyone is different, I would advice a strong painkiller , not just paracetamol beforehand.
charlie!!

Rosebush

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »

Charlie my pain threshold is also very low, and Gyno did say, " see how we go" so expect if it gets to painful i too will have to say stop, and re book for GA  :'( will take 2x 500mgs co-codamol before i go, try and leave time in between each one...x

Cazikins

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »

I've got to have this done next Wednesday & I am not looking forward to it either Rosebush.
I am hoping to have my mirena coil removed at the same time so there is even more to be done. The last time they tried to change my coil (4 years ago) they abandoned it because it hurt me so much, & they booked me in to have a GA.
I am hoping I can be a bit braver this time around. They say in the leaflet I will be given a local anaesthetic so hopefully that will take the edge off a bit.
It don't get any easier does it Rosebush.
Cazikins xxx

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »

Could they not do it for you under an epidural/spinal, I had a fairly big op done that way as I am also phobic with GA's had hysterscopy, cyst removal, D&C and they lifted my sagging uterus a bit. Was a doddle, the obviously also gave me something to sedate me lightly so that I was not nervous but no after effects or anything was wide awke and felt great after had a big lunch and went home 2 days later, had to say in as they had had to cut me to remove the cyst.

pixigirl

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 09:40:14 AM »

Hi Charlie,
I had yhis done about 3 weeks ago. Yes i found it painful, but it does not last long and with no after effects. They did say i could ask them to stop at any point but i just wanted it over with. The girls are right in saying the pain ia akin to a very bad period pain. I am just a wimp at the end of the day. Good luck, be brave. x

Rosebush

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »

Cazikins will you post how things go for you, no-one mentioned  l.a or sedation, think i may send a letter to Consultant next week to ask for something to help, rather than wait and maybe not be able to cope with pain, and then have to wait for appt with GA..i am thinking la and/or sediation will cost less the using operating threatre.. ???

Cazikins

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »

Cazikins will you post how things go for you, no-one mentioned  l.a or sedation, think i may send a letter to Consultant next week to ask for something to help, rather than wait and maybe not be able to cope with pain, and then have to wait for appt with GA..i am thinking la and/or sediation will cost less the using operating threatre.. ???

Rosebush, I have just re-read the leaflet & I got it wrong. :bang:.
It is not a local anaesthetic at all, it only mentions a warm antiseptic solution will be used to wash the cervix. I am now in the same state of panic as you.
I am a numpty.

joyce21

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »

Honestly Catkins it's not bad at all, I;m the worse person in the world for getting in a state over things, but I would go back for one, without anesthetic, in a flash. As I've said the pain is no worse than a period pain, and no-where near labour pain, and we've got through both of those  :)

xx
Pages: [1] 2 3