Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: newby and ANNOYED!!!!  (Read 4198 times)

amaweeuk

newby and ANNOYED!!!!
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »

Not with you lot, not read anything to annoy me yet  ;D  But I stumbled across a thread here which made me join.  In the last 18 months I've had 2 periods, one 9 months ago, and one 9 months before that, expecting one any day :-)  I've had the most awful pains during that time, frozen shoulder, tennis elbow, hips, fingers, coccyx (omg the coccyx) and pretty much put them down to old age.  I'm just turned 50.  The Dr has blood tested, and x rayed me, and found nothing.  I read here about menopausal tendonitis, so went today and asked about it.  I am guessing they aren't fond of knowledgeable women who can Google symptoms telling them what they think the issue might be.  Anyway, she agrees to give me HRT even though she's never heard of Menopausal Tendonitis. Then my blood pressure is way off the scale (not bleeding surprised) so they've left me high and dry again.  This morning I was so positive that I had found a way forward.  Now I feel so low again.

Taz2

Re: newby and ANNOYED!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »

:welcomemm:  Things wont seem half so bad now you have found us lot!

Is your blood pressure normally high or do you think it was a one off? Mine was high a couple of weeks ago so I had to use the home monitor for four days and then drop it back to the surgery. That reminds me, I haven't made the follow-up appointment!!

Taz x

amaweeuk

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »

thanks Taz  :)  My bp has always been a stable 110/70.  I am very overweight, gave up smoking a few years back, and I didn't control my weight, but have lost a stone in the last month, healthy eats, and trying to do more.

I bought a monitor today, and the top reading has gone from 190+ to 130+, bottom reading has been ok throughout.

But why, WHY, do Dr's not recognise the achey pain part?  This woman was showing me some chart about chances of osteoporosis being 5% today.  To be honest, I don't give a flying one about charts, or %, I want rid of these pains.

Went to see Star Trek the other night.  Shifted left, coccyx pain, shifted right, hip pain, went to the loo and stood at the back a while, hip pain.  Not fair.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »

190 is very high - what a change from normal. Mine too went from 110/70 to 156/86 so doc wasn't happy. I used a friend's home monitor and the readings on this were consistently lower than the ones I was getting from the 24 hour docs monitor. I wonder how accurate home ones are unless you go for the really expensive one. Have you been on the Blood Pressure Association site? I found it helpful. http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart

I hope that you get some relief from your pain soon. When are you seeing the doc again? Do normal anti imflammatories such as ibuprofen help? You may find that you have to take them for several days before the full effects are felt.

Taz x

Elena

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:34:07 AM »

Home ones arent very accurate on me, I get such a low reading you'd think I was dead!

thetimeofmylife

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:24:13 AM »

Not sure about the tendonitis due to menopause but I do get tendonitis in my wrists and arm due to the work I do (I'm a florist so it's an occupational hazard!) I also have spondylitis of the upper thoracic spine, again another work related issue.  Ice works wonders for me so may be worth a try to ease your pain..?  I just have a spare pack of frozen peas in the freezer, wrap it in a towel and place on the achey bit for around 10 mins.  Next day, the pain is almost unnoticeable.

Re blood pressure, I'm one of those whose BP goes through the roof in the surgery but is fine at home.  Apparently, it's called 'white coat syndrome' ! I have an Omron monitor at home which is the same as my Docs. He said to  take 3 readings on the trot and take the third reading as the one to mark down, take it at the same time every day before a meal and not to move or speak when you do it.  I keep telling him that it's the chaos of waiting in the surgery before I go in to see him that sends my BP soaring!  You know the type of thing, running late, kids running riot, people on mobiles when there's signs everywhere saying don't use them, people arguing with receptionists Arggh!

Clovie

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »

I also have White Coat Syndrome - causes some spectacular changes in readings! LOL  :o

I usually just explain that I get very nervous in doctors surgeries, (I feel so stressed while having my blood pressure taken I feel a bit faint and can feel my heartbeat like I've just run a marathon!) I go armed with a few of my 'normal' readings and this has always been accepted.
in fact my blood pressure is low normal, apparently, so much so I feel a bit dizzy if I stand up too soon, always been the same way.

Amaweeuk, could you have White Coat Syndrome? Can you use a home monitor and see what results you get?

Evenstar

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »

Hello and welcome. Meno tendonitis? Hmmmmmn  I've been having a lot of problems with the tendons at the back of my left foot. Wonder if it is connected ?  ???

MAZZA64

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »

Hi am new on here and it's amazing how much I am learning and have learned about the menopause. 
I am a very fit healthy 8 stone menopausal 49 year old ( I started my menopause at the age of 42). 
2 years ago I suddenly suffered from a frozen shoulder just by trying to take off my t-shirt, and I am just getting full use of my arm back.  I wonder if it is anything to do with the menopause, although I also have an Under Active Thyroid which could also be a factor.

Elena

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »

Well now that you mention it Mazz that sort of thing has been happening to me for a while... ::)also got underactive thyroid and no weight issues...hmmm