Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Thinning hair!  (Read 12507 times)

catfreak

Thinning hair!
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »

Hello. I hope one of you lovelies can help me. Im 44. About 6 weeks into taking Elleste Duet 1mg. Recently just noticed my hair is falling out & seems thinner  :'(. Even my hairdresser has noticed. Im not totally sure it was happening to a lesser extent before I started HRT but its got worse. One of 'rare' side effects it says on the leaflet is hair loss from the scalp. Should I wean myself off my HRT see if my hair improves or could it be a meno symptom. Its really upsetting me. Good job Ive got (had) thick hair  :'( xx. Thanks xx

Hurdity

Re: Thinning hair!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »

Hi catfreak

Sorry to hear about your hair!

The progestogen in that HRT is called norethisterone and is one of the androgenic type ie can cause male type side effects - hair loss, acne etc and also some women do get headaches from this one.

In the menu on the left there is info about the different (synthetic) progesterone types in HRT (under HRT preparations, progesterone):

Progestogens which can be used cyclically are of 3 main types:

Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
    Less testosterone related - Medroxyprogesterone acetate(MPA).
    Least testosterone related - Dydrogesterone and Micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

So my suggestion would be to try Femoston (1/10) as the prog in that one is closest to our own progesterone,  Femoston is just a pill (as I understand) like the other tablet HRTs.

Has it helped with other meno symptoms?

How far are you into meno ie how have your periods been recently and how frequent?

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

catfreak

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »

Thank you for replying Hurdity. My periods stopped for about a year then I had 2 random ones in space of about 4months. My GP put me on this HRT because I was still having periods even though they were random rather than HRT for women whose periods have stopped altogether. My meno symptoms were crippling mood swings & anxiety which Im still getting but think may have eased slightly. Do you think I should stop my HRT straightaway or gradually? & obviously go back to GP. Thanks xx

Suzi Q

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »

Sorry about you hair take Hurds advice go see GP cos if you THINK you look rotten you will feel rotten
Mines falln out a fair bit and on one sides quite thin due to Vagifem
So I will get extensions Im not coming of Vagifem and yes my hairdresser noticed it and is careful when she cuts
OH the joys!!!!!! Still we thank god are still here xxxxxxxxx

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 05:54:40 AM »

Its not necessarily only due to the HRT, have you had your thyroid checked, my Dr told me that that can also cause it, also myself and my daughter have had it terribly the past few weeks, we always get it change of season, Doc also said stress can be a factor, mine comes out when I wash it, and I have so little as it is, my daughter has lovely thick hair and she is also shedding loads, had her bloods tested and all was fine so could just be part of the season/part due to meno/daily stress etc. There are some shampoos I have seen that one can use as well as tablets if it gets really bad, all the best.

Rosebush

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 03:56:30 PM »

Started losing hair about 3yrs ago, 6mths after starting HRT, Gp said it would have happened sooner if it was due to HRT, just in shower one day washing hair and hands were full of it..had lots of tests, saw private dermatologist, was put on zinc tabs made no difference..I have been using Alpecin shampoo for ages, and for about a year taking saw palmetto tabs, just this last 2mths i have noticed some re growth in widows peak its very fine but about 1" now, hair still falling out though, worse when i wash it...have been told its just something that happens to women without any known cause, so know how you feel ladies  :'(

P.S i have tried to come off HRT twice in the last 18mths, longest time without was 3wks  :o made no difference to hair fall out..x