Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil & menopause  (Read 20100 times)

Fionabee

Mirena coil & menopause
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »

I am 52 and had my Mirena coil changed 3 yrs ago, when the gynaecologist had finished he said something like "that should see you through the change"' I so wish now I had asked him to explain what he meant in a bit more detail.
I had had no periods for 10 yrs or so, just a bit of dark discharge occasionally.
Over Christmas I started having ****ly sweaty glows, starting around my hairline on my forehead, sweat running down the sides of my face, 7-10 times a day, otherwise not too bad, was feeling generally warm & not wanting to wear too many clothes. Had several nights sweats, t-shirt nightie soaked, the first time it happened I lept out of bed thinking I'd wet the bed it was so bad. I also had several isolated days of feeling so low and mentally out of sorts, not myself at all, but could not find the words to express what was wrong, tears, tears & more tears. Then quite suddenly it stopped after about 2 months.
For 2 weeks now, quite out of the blue I have had a really heavy period which just won't go, it gets scant and dark and then returns red & clotty again, when I was younger my periods were heavy hence the Mirena coil.
Do you have any idea how the Mirena coil influences the menopause and is this start & stop sweating/mood swing par for the course? A friend at work who is 55 has had two blood tests which tell her she is almost through the change, she has had scanty periods but no other symptoms??!!
Have any of you had similar experience?
Many thanks :)

winifred

Re: Mirena coil & menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:52:12 PM »

Also have mirena now my third one,  was told it probably be my last although I am now  on HRT so whilst on that you need to keep it in . I don't think sweats anything to do with mirena or your changing moods that all sound like  so callled "normal " meno symptoms,  problem is the symptoms come and go and some woman  get some symptoms mild others really bad, some sail through like your friend others struggle with horrendous symptoms and need medical help it is all so variable.  I had to go on HRT as I wasnt sleeping it has helped with that but have struggled with other symptoms and like you I dont feel myself some days at all but dont know really what it is. All I can say is its not called the change for nothing everything changes! but this site has been great and the ladies on it will always try to answer and help when you check in  :)

ann123

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »

Maybe he just meant when you get this one taken out you won't need to use contraception, as you will be post menopause? I had a mirena coil up till 6 months ago, my periods stopped when I had the coil in so never really knew what was going on!! Never had a period once it was taken out. I went on HRT patches. The mirena releases progesterone, so if you want HRT, you should only need oestrogen.
Not sure i have answered your question, but it's my experience of mirena coils!!!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »

Hi fionabee

:welcomemm:

As ann123 says - the only way the Mirena affects your menopause is firstly you won't have quite such heavy bleeding as you might have done, and secondly you shouldn't need extra progesterone if you start HRT.

As you were given the Mirena for heavy bleeding it can stop periods so the first signs you are menopausal are the sweats and flushes you are beginning to experience.

The fact that you did have bleeding would be because of your own hormonal surges and perhaps cycles where you weren't ovulating meaning the womb lining built up even more.

The reason the sweats stopped is probably your own oestrogen increased again and the bleeding re-started. Many of us have had this without the Mirnea. Periods get infrequent. Flushes and sweats start when periods stop. Then the flushes stop and we think - great that's it then - only for the periods to return for a while. The flushes often restart when the periods stop - signalling a drop in oestrogen again.

Perhaps time to start thinking about oestrogen replacement to make you feel better and prevent long term oestrogen deficiency symptoms - although if you've had some bleeding your gynae will want to monitor this I imagine and you may need extra progestogen if the Mirena is beginning to run out - or to check you over to make sure no other issues.

Hurdity x