Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Magnesium  (Read 4656 times)

moonbeam121167

Magnesium
« on: June 13, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »

Hi can anyone advice on the recommended  daily allowance of magnesium a woman should take while on Hrt :) :) :) :)

Taz2

Re: Magnesium
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »

I'm not sure moonbeam. I've been on HRT for six years but have never been told to take magnesium. Is this something you have been advised to do? I did use it for a while when I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but I found it upset my stomach so I stopped it. Hopefully someone else will be along soon with more info.

Taz x

kes

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »

Apparently we all need quite a bit of magnesium and many people don't get quite enough in their diet.   I believe the RDA is about 300mg for adult women, though I don't know if meno/HRT would make any difference to this. 
I take one tablet per day which is about 100 mg, just to make sure I'm not deficient, and this does not upset my stomach.  I'm not on HRT. 

moonbeam121167

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »

Hi thanks both of you  :)

Firewalker50

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »

Hi Moonbeam

There is an excellent book by Mark Sircus - transdermal magnesium.

I am not sure why you ask the question so specifically, however, that book (and I am sure others) covers the plethora of health issues affected by low magnesium and the importance of having enough in your system.

Because of the problems in tolerating some forms of magnesium, this is a very easy way to supplement.   You can use it in your bath or a foot bath, spray on your body as you require or regularly.

I use the BetterYou range of magnesium Spray - normal and night time and use on and off.

I also buy quality magnesium flakes for the bath and just have that as and when I feel like it.   

I, too, had fibromyalgia and found that it helped (once I discovered it!). 

You can actually make your own magnesium oil spray by using magnesium flakes and mineral water in a spray bottle. 

I really would recommend that you read about it first and decide what suits you. 

Fx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »

Hi Moonbeam

I'm like Taz - I've also been on HRT for 6 years and have never been advised to take magnesium.

I gather some older people may be deficient in it but that would be due to poor diet.

As always, unless you have been specifically asked to take more due to a deficiency, I would make sure I got as much as I could re minerals from a very healthy diet. Have you been tested?

This is what is says on the NHS website about vitamins and minerals:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Other-vitamins-minerals.aspx

Magnesium

Magnesium is a mineral that:

helps turn the food we eat into energy
    helps make sure the parathyroid glands, which produce hormones important for bone health, work normally

Good sources of magnesium

Magnesium is found in a wide variety of foods, such as:

green leafy vegetables, such as spinach
    nuts
    brown rice
    bread (especially wholegrain)
    fish
    meat
    dairy foods

How much magnesium do I need?

The amount of magnesium you need is:

300mg a day for men
    270mg a day for women

You should be able to get all the magnesium you need from your daily diet.
What happens if I take too much magnesium?

Taking high doses of magnesium (more than 400mg) for a short time can cause diarrhoea.

There is not enough evidence to say what the effects might be of taking high doses of magnesium for a long time.
What does the Department of Health advise?

You should be able to get all the magnesium you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take magnesium supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

Having 400mg or less a day of magnesium from supplements is unlikely to cause any harm.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »

I find magnesium flakes wonderful in the bath and especially in a foot bath when your feet feel swollen and hot at the end of the day and particularly in summer.

I also take quarter of a teaspoon of  Natural Calm magnesium powder in a cup of Rooisbos in the evening. (You can get in from any health shop and the magnesium flakes from amazon.

Dead Sea Salt is very good too, they have a whole range and I think the skin care is particularly good.

I have read many books on the importance of magnesium especially for women in menopause, and this was years ago before it became main stream.

It is also particularly important for women taking birth control pills and for women on hormones. 

I would recommend reading "The Magnesium Miracle" updated by Carolyn Dean, MD., ND. for a very good read it was originally published as "The Miracle Of Magnesium" when I first read it years ago.

Its always a good idea to get as much info as possible and then make up your own mind.

Delilah

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »

Hi

I take 250mg of magnesium and just looked at my menopace tablets which also  contain 100mg, both of these add up to 94% of the rda. Not sure now if this may be a bit too much.

I started taking them for nerve, muscle and bone health and also energy. Not sure if they're making any difference and i guess the only way to know is to stop taking them.

Delilah.