Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does your doctor listen?  (Read 4413 times)

ellie

Does your doctor listen?
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:07:23 AM »

I have many health problems, so I feel when I go the doctors he just doesn't listen to me...
For instance : a couple of weeks ago, I saw him because my back was becoming extremely painful ( I had an operation on my back a couple of years ago )........he brushed me off saying I was on a lot of pain medication and went on to talk about a low carb diet that reduces pain........
     So here I am on holiday and in agony.......I can tell I have a trapped nerve , I think a disc is protruding, and I am worried about getting home  :'(
Ladies we know our own bodies don't we.........so does anyone else have a doctor that just DOESN'T listen  >:(

Joyce

Re: Does your doctor listen?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »

Mine sure isn't listening regarding my back pain. I have at least one lump, possibly a neurofibroma  in that particular area. Mainly sore when sitting/lying down, but not always. I'm sure he and his colleagues think I'm some mad wifey.

Last time I went I was on the brink of tears, due to exhaustion as I'd been up most of the night in severe pain. Problem is it's fine when I'm up and about. They don't seem to get that it's very painful when at its worst.

What a shame this had happened during your holidays Ellie. I assume you have painkillers with you. I had to travel across the Atlantic many years ago, after a bad car crash. Not the most pleasant trip, pain was pretty bad, despite strong painkillers. If you can try and change position whilst travelling so you don't seize up.

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »

What a shame getting this when you are on holiday. I never seem to see the same doctor, I saw one once that did listen but she was only there for 6 months. Can you change doctors?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »

Can you see a Pharmacist to find out exactly how much pain relief you are able to take?  When are you seeing the Consultant again?

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »

To be fair I think mine does.
She is quite young but quite clued up and most importantly sympathetic.

I really try to get her when I go in an attempt of some continuity. I then don't have to start at the beginning every time I go.

At least that is my cunning plan.

Honeyb
X

ellie

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »

We came home today, and will phone doctor in the morning.....I find talking to the doctor really hard...... I have severe pain coming down from the top of my bottom and awful awful pain in my knee going down to my foot....it feels like my knee is being torn from my leg.....Three years ago I had a knee replacement that went totally wrong, nerve and tissue damage.....and since then I have had a back operation...So is it my knee or my back  :'(.......difficult to explain to doctor in the very short time that's allowed....

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »

Write it down in case you forget anything. At least you are home now & can see someone who has your case notes. I hope you get to see someone soon.  Maybe ask for double appointment if you can.

ellie

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »

Saw doctor (took DH with me) so yes the doc did listen more...... He is referring me to the back surgeon who operated on my back...
At first he was just going to send me back to the pain clinic where I have steroid injections every six months, but I said NO......I need to know why I am in such awful pain...
So now the wait for an appointment starts  :(

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 01:37:08 PM »

That's good he listened and well done you for standing your ground!

Did he give any indication as to the waiting times?  I would say that if the pain gets really bad to make sure you remind your GP, who may be able to chase things up a bit.

Back pain is truly awful and worse still if you can't sleep.

ellie

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »

The waiting time is aprox 7 weeks ........

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »

Not too bad I suppose, but when you're in pain it's an awfully long time. Maybe you'll get a cancellation.

ellie

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 07:31:05 AM »

I could see him next Wednesday privately for £200......but that's a lot of money and I hate queue pushing.....plus I know he will want me to have an MRI scan and having that done privately is out of the question.......
       :'( pain is getting worse though  :'(