Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: fed up  (Read 5923 times)

menmania

fed up
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »

I am on thyroxine and ever since menopause my levels are unstable after 2 and half years after last period I am suddenly getting hot sweats out of the blue and thought my clothes were shrinking but realise that I have gained weight I have been eating porridge salads fruit no alcohol nothing left to enjoy in life and I feel miserable

Suzi Q

Re: fed up
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »

MY pal L had that
She went on a special diet sub she went from size 24 Feb 2012 to size 10 in April 2013
PM me cant mention the name on here
She was rushed in to hospital it was so instable and she had heart stuff with her weight
Shes been lucky she now doesnt take anyhting at all
Ive not had a period since I was 42 Im now 59 next month and hun I still get hot flushes sorry xxxxxxxxx

menmania

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »

thanks suzi q I am new to site, spent all weekend in bed with flu so was feeling sorry for myself but I know this sounds terrible but I am a size 8 and now everything is tight when I thought as long as I cut out sugar etc I would be fine, so to suddenly put on a load of weight is hard and the hot flushes are constant out of the blue but the worst thing is I am small boned and 5 ft and have gone from 32c chest years ago to 32e but if I am honest I am probably 32g and it's horrible, then when I feel low which I think is the hormones I feel guilty as so many people are worse off in the world,so one long guilt trip. I don't understand why thyroid keeps yo yoing then you think you are the only one this is happening to.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 02:57:26 PM »

Hi menmania

Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?

Although you would expect some weight gain around menopause, if this is occurring with no obvious cause (ie not overeating or becoming more sedentary) then maybe you need to alter your thyroxine dose.

However if it's just that your clothes are getting tight - eg round the waist - then that is down to redistribution of fat which occurs as oestrogen declines in the body - and your clothes would appear tight even if you weren't actually putting on weight. (It goes to the middle from the hips and tops of thighs: pear to apple shape!).

Not sure about the chest size though - these normally shrink after meno - unless you are actually increasing fat everywhere (due to thyroid deficiency).

So - I suggest getting the thyroxine levels checked and if necessary adjust your dose.

The sweats are likely to be due to menopause - (did you not get them while your periods were fluctuating?) - some women only start getting troublesome symptoms when they are post-meno as you are.

Are you on any other medication?

I would suggest maybe a low dose HRT might help but if so it seems thyroid levels should be checked again.

Here is what it says in the menu in blue on the left (A-Z of medical conditions):

Hyperthyroidism, due to either overactive thyroid gland or over-replacement of thyroxine in under active thyroid disease, leads to an increased risk of osteoporosis due to excess bone loss. Consideration should therefore be given to screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women who have a history of hyperthyroidism and offering bone protective measures. HRT does not worsen thyroid disease and in fact may be particularly helpful because of the bone protective effect. However, patients taking thyroxine should be monitored by having thyroid function rechecked 3 months after starting HRT since the thyroxine dose may need to be adjusted. Similarly, thyroxine requirements may alter if HRT is stopped and thyroid function should be rechecked 3 months after stopping HRT

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »

PS
 :welcomemm: